Mozilla Firefox 22 Is Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    Having said that: firefox-22.0 is the first release after quite some time where the promise of "better performance" actually did not mean the opposite, but really made my experience nicer. I was able to enable Smooth Scrolling after - I don't know - how many releases. maps.google.com was unusable with at least 19.x to 21.x - Scrolling with the mouse wheel did take seconds until it actually zoomed, making it quite hard to get the right "distance".
    Oh, that's pretty nice. The Google Maps thing was annoying me as well. Did they improve PDF rendering performance as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
      I often find myself having over 50 tabs and experience UI slowdown and more importantly the inefficiency that traditional tab managing causes. The only 2 permanent remedies that sorta improve tab management is a 2line tab bar (via TMP) and occasionally the tab group button (which is still far from perfectly smooth). How do you people manage hundreds of tabs?
      I use multiple windows open for category types and I have a good memory of the pages I have open so I can just start typing the name and when the "switch to tab" option comes up hit that. It's not that dissimilar for how I use multiple desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Oh, that's pretty nice. The Google Maps thing was annoying me as well. Did they improve PDF rendering performance as well?
        I loaded a pdf with 108 pages (latex2e.pdf - think it should be <preferred_search_engine>able). Was the only loaded tab, and firefox used 600MB... But performance seems to be not too bad (if you don't intend to just scroll as hell without looking at the pages )
        Regarding google maps: old behaviour is back And I tracked it down to (drum roll...) AdBlock Plus. It does not help to simply disable it for maps.google.com, you need to deactivate the addon completely via :dialog addons. I wonder now why it performed so well after the first start of the new firefox version. Addons were blocked. When I find time I will look if there are hints on the interwebs - or contact ABP devs.

Comment

Any e17 user seeing something out of the ordinary with notifications (ie. the popup when you download a file) ???

In my case it doesn't use the default theme.

Comment

I often find myself having over 50 tabs and experience UI slowdown and more importantly the inefficiency that traditional tab managing causes. The only 2 permanent remedies that sorta improve tab management is a 2line tab bar (via TMP) and occasionally the tab group button (which is still far from perfectly smooth). How do you people manage hundreds of tabs?
            Pixies ;-)

Comment

I tend to have 3 line tab bar, and about two or three windows open in one instance. My colleages and my wife constantly tease me about how many tabs I have open.
              I use some kind of addon that auto-groups tabs and colourise them, that makes it quite manageable to have a hundred or two tabs open...

Comment

Regarding Google Maps mouse wheel zooming:
                Seems to be a known issue the AdBlock Dev can't reproduce:

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                  Regarding Google Maps mouse wheel zooming:
                  Seems to be a known issue the AdBlock Dev can't reproduce:
                  https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7054
                  WOW! After switching from AdBlock Plus to AdBlock Edge maps.google.com is snappy, again. And it stays snappy, even after several restarts of firefox.
                  I will have a look this evening. If network traffic should really be an issue here (don't believe so, as it is adblock plus that causes the slowdown), I should see it then.

Comment

Working...
                  X