8-Way Desktop Comparison On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frign View Post
    Ubuntu is the only GNU/Linux-Desktop which doesn't require changing your computing-habits. I would call it a gateway-distro.
    it depends your point of view. some people think that we think windows are easy because we are used to them and they are everywhere. some people think that all the users of the world should have their level of knowledge and should be using terminals too.

I believe that when you have to do with a worldwide audience, you cant judge them all claiming that "they dont know" or "they misjudge Linux distros" or "it is because they are used to M$ products"

Look at android or iOS. they are not windows-like or windows-way and they are more succesful than Windows itself. Why? Because you live in 2013. You expect some basic things from an OS. You expect visualy-modern interface first of all. You expect simplicity. Simple IS better. You expect arrangement. You expect productive environment and fast (in terms of how quickly you find what you are looking for.

You give those basic things, you gain market share and then you have more support from computer gaints. Like it or not thats the way world works.

So Ubuntu is not gateway for me. It is a train station to a alternative "city" with its pros and cons against Windows 7 (the most succesful Windows ver.)

Gateway is Zorin OS for me and Xubuntu maybe.

I could include Linux Mint as a gateway too but they seem to me as completely Ubuntu depended. For example they released Linux Mint 15 in June for what, 7 months? Without encouraging the upgrade after every release?

Comment

Debatable

Originally posted by verde View Post
      it depends your point of view. some people think that we think windows are easy because we are used to them and they are everywhere. some people think that all the users of the world should have their level of knowledge and should be using terminals too.

I believe that when you have to do with a worldwide audience, you cant judge them all claiming that "they dont know" or "they misjudge Linux distros" or "it is because they are used to M$ products"

Look at android or iOS. they are not windows-like or windows-way and they are more succesful than Windows itself. Why? Because you live in 2013. You expect some basic things from an OS. You expect visualy-modern interface first of all. You expect simplicity. Simple IS better. You expect arrangement. You expect productive environment and fast (in terms of how quickly you find what you are looking for.

You give those basic things, you gain market share and then you have more support from computer gaints. Like it or not thats the way world works.

So Ubuntu is not gateway for me. It is a train station to a alternative "city" with its pros and cons against Windows 7 (the most succesful Windows ver.)

Gateway is Zorin OS for me and Xubuntu maybe.

I could include Linux Mint as a gateway too but they seem to me as completely Ubuntu depended. For example they released Linux Mint 15 in June for what, 7 months? Without encouraging the upgrade after every release?
      This is definitely debatable. Bringing in non-Desktop-OS's like Android and iOS distorts the argumentation:
      A phone is not used for the normal desktop tasks.

Comment

Working...
      X