Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.11 Beta Released, Works On Wayland

Phoronix: KDE 4.11 Beta Released, Works On Wayland

The first beta of the forthcoming KDE 4.11 Software Compilation is now available. KDE 4.11 features greater use of Qt Quick in Plasma Workspaces, KWin supports creating OpenGL 3.1 Core contexts, and KWin is beginning to work on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We need a god damn browser (proper one, FF preferably) that works with WL.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      I'd bet that Rekonq will beat FF at that, given that it's full Qt and all.

Comment

well tested with r600g + opengl 3.1 +wayland 1.1 and weston 1.1[gentoo] and well is really experimental and glitchy to really work with but man it render freaking freaking fast, i mean kde4 is not wayland native hence why you need Xvfb but even so is way faster than Native X11.

for example rekonq with the wayland experiment beat chrome 28 on native X11 hands down in render speed and scrolling, im really impressed

note: refresh gets really glichy and multimonitor dont work but as an experiment is a hell of a nerd candy

im emerging Qt5.1 with wayland QPA and test snowshoe the first native qtquick2 browser, i can't wait to see how native wayland apps will work.

don't ask me about ubuntu, wait for a PPA to emerge or switch to a big boys distro if you can't wait[gentoo or arch sounds about right]

Comment

ff still uses gtk2, it'd have to use gtk3 (or qt)

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
            They are moving it to gtk3 but it seems to be taking quite a lot of time. Have no idea why.

Also with things like jolla and Ubuntu using Qt it would be nice to have a version built with it but i doubt it worths the investment.
            Last edited by 89c51; 15 June 2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

They are moving it to gtk3 but it seems to be taking quite a lot of time. Have no idea why.

Also with things like jolla and Ubuntu using Qt it would be nice to have a version built with it but i doubt it worths the investment.
              I'm quite surprised. AFAIK Firefox already had a proof-of-concept binary compiled against Qt 4, and switching between Qt 4 and Qt 5 code at source level is a breeze, unlike the switch between Gtk 2 and Gtk 3. So, if they are really porting Firefox to GTK3 they are doing at least 3x more work, and scrapping work already done to be compatible with Wayland. In other words, a total waste.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
                There will never ever be a fully working FF version built on Qt. It was attempted so often already and has always been abandoned after a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  I'm quite surprised. AFAIK Firefox already had a proof-of-concept binary compiled against Qt 4, and switching between Qt 4 and Qt 5 code at source level is a breeze, unlike the switch between Gtk 2 and Gtk 3. So, if they are really porting Firefox to GTK3 they are doing at least 3x more work, and scrapping work already done to be compatible with Wayland. In other words, a total waste.
                  The Firefox Qt 4 code was never fully working, always experimental, and completely abandoned a long time ago. It's primarily a Gtk2 app, with a healthy helping of direct X commands that will also need to be replaced with any Wayland port.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    The Firefox Qt 4 code was never fully working, always experimental, and completely abandoned a long time ago. It's primarily a Gtk2 app, with a healthy helping of direct X commands that will also need to be replaced with any Wayland port.
                    TBH i always thought that FF was "easy" to port to different toolkits. Not the case obviously. Or maybe noone cares. Would love an efl port.

Comment

Working...
                    X