Features Baking For KDE 4.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    Does yast allow you to do the same thing with samba shares? That would be a perfectly acceptable solution for me if I could mount and unmount the share on demand in dolphin as user. Once KDE 4.11 comes out and fixed my tearing issue (and it becomes available in opensuse's KDE:Stable repo) I'll have to give opensuse another shot if I can achieve this with samba.
    I haven't used Samba in a while, but I don't see why it shouldn't allow you to do that. The NFS config window just helps edit /etc/fstab.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I haven't used Samba in a while, but I don't see why it shouldn't allow you to do that. The NFS config window just helps edit /etc/fstab.
      All I know is I spent hours dicking around with fstab in various distros and kept running into all kinds of problems, such as outdated documentation (for example I ran into this issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160047, at the time that workaround wasn't known so I ended up having to use a distro with an older kernel even to get it to work), and even when I could mount the share it would *only* mount/unmount as root no matter how much I tried to tweak it. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it sure was a huge pain in the ass compared to the seamless gvfs integration other desktops have... KDE could really stand to improve in this area. Dealing with shares in dolphin is still a pain compared to nautilus or thunar.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        All I know is I spent hours dicking around with fstab in various distros and kept running into all kinds of problems, such as outdated documentation (for example I ran into this issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160047, at the time that workaround wasn't known so I ended up having to use a distro with an older kernel even to get it to work), and even when I could mount the share it would *only* mount/unmount as root no matter how much I tried to tweak it. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it sure was a huge pain in the ass compared to the seamless gvfs integration other desktops have... KDE could really stand to improve in this area. Dealing with shares in dolphin is still a pain compared to nautilus or thunar.
        KDE has no say in that. Dolphin already handles shares to the best of its ability (I don't see how it can be easier in other file managers, it's already as easy as it can get...). Its only the wrong mount parameters that matter here. The "users" option makes sure normal users can mount and unmount the share.

Why do you need SMB shares, anyway? NFS is always much easier to set up.

Comment

What he's referring to is that gvfs' approach to accessing Windows shares is to create a temporary mount point somewhere in $HOME and ask the kernel to use it, whereas KIO uses its own plugin using the userspace Samba client libraries. The consequence is that apps launched from the file manager need to be able to understand smb:// URLs (either via KIO or on their own), whereas gvfs hands out what are effectively local filesystem paths.

This isn't relevant for shares configured via fstab, but it is for users who don't want to do that and use apps not using KIO.
          Last edited by Sho_; 14 June 2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Well, I get the argument for 4.10 but considering that 4.11 is supposed to be an ?LTS? release some Plasma widgets may actually get new feature releases before PW2 is ready for widespread consumption. Tweaking things like version support in BKO sounds to me like less work than to do a whole ?4.12? just because some QML Plasma applets have been updated and released possibly just released via GHNS.
            If you're referring to making 4.x test releases of PW2 QML widgets, that won't be feasible in most cases because the QML1->2 transition does involve some API breakages (not so much on the QML side, but certainly on the C++ side hosting the QML content, if only by allowing to eliminate more of that C++ side), and there will also be API breakages in the Plasma QML components that have been frozen for a while in 4.x. It wouldn't be feasible to keep releasing the PW2 port of the new Task Manager for 4.x without substantial overhead to maintain two diverged codebases, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
              This isn't relevant for shares configured via fstab, but it is for users who don't want to do that and use apps not using KIO.
              Well yea, that's my point ? just have it configured in /etc/fstab.

Comment

Well yea, that's my point – just have it configured in /etc/fstab.
                And my point is that configuring shares in fstab is a huge pain in the ass compared to gnome's gvfs solution. I was not able to get dolphin to mount/unmount the shares with a smb share in my fstab because for some reason mounting a smb cifs share even when its in fstab requires root. It was not even remotely as close to as convenient as using gvfs.

Users shouldn't be expected to edit /etc/fstab for this kind of simple functionality. I expect to be able to mount/unmount my shares in the file manager on demand as a user, and anything else is not acceptable.

Dolphin/kde does not handle this "to the best of its ability", because handling it to the best of its ability would either be using gvfs or a gvfs solution to actually mount the shares on the fly so applications can actually use the files on the share. Dicking around with fstab for hours is not my definition of convenience or user friendliness.

I really like KDE but this is without a doubt a big issue IMO.
                Last edited by bwat47; 14 June 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Again, I don't have much experience with SMB or gvfs, but using a GUI tool to configure fstab is really not hard. I don't see how you can mount a share without configuring anything - you still need to tell the system where the share is found and how to handle it...

Comment

Again, I don't have much experience with SMB or gvfs, but using a GUI tool to configure fstab is really not hard. I don't see how you can mount a share without configuring anything - you still need to tell the system where the share is found and how to handle it...
                    You shouldn't have to be root to mount a network drive.
                    You shouldn't have to use fstab to mount a share at a friend's house/client network.
                    If you have per user personal network drives, and multi users PCs, well, it doesn't scale well.

Yes, it is easy to configure fstab, and is ok enough for most cases.
                    No, it is not sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      You shouldn't have to be root to mount a network drive.
                      You shouldn't have to use fstab to mount a share at a friend's house/client network.
                      If you have per user personal network drives, and multi users PCs, well, it doesn't scale well.

Yes, it is easy to configure fstab, and is ok enough for most cases.
                      No, it is not sufficient.
                      If you open a file in a smb:// share KDE downloads it for you and says the programm to open the tmp file.

Comment

Working...
                      X