Features Coming To LibreOffice 4.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Users increasingly prefer different tools, the desktop market itself is in decline. Abandoning WYSIWYG is however not an option for most.
    Why don't implement WYSIWYG for LateX (would be a god formate to use between diferent programm since its more or less always the same).

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      Why don't implement WYSIWYG for LateX (would be a god formate to use between diferent programm since its more or less always the same).
      There is Lyx.

I have used Latex far more than I have used LO/OOo. Its very good at what its good at. But Latex is not really a great format an office suite.
      * It does not embed media, so your document would be represented by a bunch of tex source and image files. I guess to solve this you would have to define a 'tex file and dependants in a zip archive' format
      * Its hard to parse. Its very hard to write a program that can parse the tex format. including all the possible extension packages you might be using. much better to use something easily parsable eg XML.
      * Its not very generic. Its very easy to make a beautifully formatted journal paper with latex. Its much harder to do arbitrary formatting that you might want in a word processor document.
      * latex does not have anything equivalent to a spread sheet.

ODF however is designed very carefully to be an interchangeable office format. it is well documented and based on existing standards.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
        With all due respect to LibreOffice, wouldn't most Linux users prefer a markup tool like markdown, Sphinx, or LaTeX?
        I've not yet seen a LaTeX spreadsheet :-)

In all seriousness though, LaTeX isn't friendly if you want to share a document with somebody else such that they can also edit it. It also allows for animations in presentations, which can be a valiable tool if used well.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
          LaTeX isn't friendly if you want to share a document with somebody else such that they can also edit it.
          Huh? A simple text editor is enough to edit LaTeX documents.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Huh? A simple text editor is enough to edit LaTeX documents.
            So instead of LibreOffice, just use Latex and text editors?

Cool story bro!

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
              So instead of LibreOffice, just use Latex and text editors?
              Archibald claimed that LaTeX documents are hard to share which I disproved. That's all.

You idiots just read stuff out of context and interpret some random meaning into it?

Comment

Archibald claimed that LaTeX documents are hard to share which I disproved. That's all.
                I was being indirect about the problem: the documents themselves are easy to share, but only if the person with whom you are sharing them knows LaTeX markup and has the required software installed. That's a long way from being a safe assumption and something I think is unlikely to change (please don't make me teach LaTeX to my parents!).

Comment

You idiots just read stuff out of context and interpret some random meaning into it?
                  It is not out of context. The topic is latex vs office program. Suggesting latex and that a text editor will be ok for sharing. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    I was being indirect about the problem: the documents themselves are easy to share, but only if the person with whom you are sharing them knows LaTeX markup and has the required software installed.
                    EVERYBODY has a text editor installed. A plain text editor is the only required software for making changes to a LaTeX document. Not everybody has LibreOffice. Some have MS Office, others MS Office:Mac, others Google Docs, others Calligra, others WordPerfect, others iWork, and others some ancient OpenOffice version.

The last time anybody had compatibility problems with plain text documents was when Unicode wasn't adopted everywhere and users had to mess with codepages.
                    These times are over. Long over.

And no, nobody needs to learn LaTeX markup when they are just editing text in an existing document. Too bad you were only talking about editing existing documents and not about your parents creating LaTeX documents from scratch.
                    But, btw, learning LaTeX basics takes about an afternoon. Fixing document breakage because a document goes through only partially compatible office suites takes much longer.

Comment

EVERYBODY has a text editor installed. A plain text editor is the only required software for making changes to a LaTeX document. Not everybody has LibreOffice. Some have MS Office, others MS Office:Mac, others Google Docs, others Calligra, others WordPerfect, others iWork, and others some ancient OpenOffice version.

The last time anybody had compatibility problems with plain text documents was when Unicode wasn't adopted everywhere and users had to mess with codepages.
                      These times are over. Long over.

And no, nobody needs to learn LaTeX markup when they are just editing text in an existing document. Too bad you were only talking about editing existing documents and not about your parents creating LaTeX documents from scratch.
                      But, btw, learning LaTeX basics takes about an afternoon. Fixing document breakage because a document goes through only partially compatible office suites takes much longer.
                      to edit a ODF document you only need a zip program and a text editor. (if you were send latex documents with images around you would probably want to put them in a zip file anyway). That does not mean its a good alternative to a WYSIWYG editor for most people.

Lots of people (me included) like tools like Latex over WYSIWYG. That also does not mean its a good alternative to a WYSIWYG editor for most people.

Comment

Working...
                      X