Unity 8, Mir Changes Landed Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    The question is will Wayland become ready before or after more and more distros are saying "fuck this, Mir is good enough lets take it".
    Not really the question. Canonical clearly stated that Mir is aimed at Unity and that the API can break at any given time, which is no problem for Unity, but for any other DE. So no DE will make the insane decision to support Mir, only to see it break in the middle of their development cycle, so that they have to chase after the API changes. This implies that distros that use any other DE than Unity will not likely go for Mir, because it would be a nightmare to support.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
      Mir is developing much faster than Wayland a
      infact, a lot of FreeDesktop developers help out with Wayland. so your comment is baseless

i'll be interested to see if Nvidia support Mir
      Last edited by Anvil; 03 June 2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Canonical isn't know for upstream work or new projects, it's known for paying attention to the needs of the non technically savvy guys [?] Red Hat is apparently starting to realize this but it's still gonna lose to Canonical the desktop battle.
        Funny. Last I checked it's Red Hat who are the majority developer of GNOME, make NVidia graphics work out of the box everywhere by developing Nouveau, improving GNOME and KDE power management / Bluetooth, and deploy Linux on countless enterprise desktops resulting in >1 billion US dollars in profit.
        Canonical is nothing compared to Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          i'll be interested to see if Nvidia support Mir
          Mir works with Android drivers so at least on ARM NVidia will at least indirectly support Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Canonical clearly stated that Mir is aimed at Unity and that the API can break at any given time
            Citation needed.
            Links please.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Citation needed.
              Links please.

We don't intend to support re-implementations of the Mir client libraries, and will make no effort to not break them if someone tries.
              In fact, it's a bit more specific - Mir is about creating a library to make the most awesome Unity display-server-compositor-thingy. We're not aiming to satisfy anyone's requirements but our own.
              Also, from the Kwin main developer a statement why it makes no sense for them to support Mir:
              As you might have seen in Jonathan’s blog post we discussed Mir in Kubuntu at the “Mataro Sessions II”. It’s a topic I would have preferred to not have to discuss at all. Bu…

But it gets worse, the protocol between Mir server and Mir clients is defined as not being stable. In fact it’s promised that it will break. That’s a huge problem, I would even call it a showstopper. For Canonical that’s fine – they control the complete stack and can just adjust all bits using the protocol like QMir.

For us this looks quite different. Given that the protocol may change any time and given that the whole thing is developed for the needs of Unity we have to expect that the server libraries are not binary compatible or that old version of the server libraries cannot talk with the latest client libraries. We would constantly have to develop against an unstable and breaking base. I know that this sounds overly pessimistic but I know of one case where a change got introduced in a Canonical protocol late in the release cycle completely breaking an application in Kubuntu which wanted to use the protocol. Given this experience I would not trust that the protocol doesn’t change one day before the release meaning that Kubuntu cannot ship.
              Last edited by Vim_User; 03 June 2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

wayland works with Android drivers too

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Mir works with Android drivers so at least on ARM NVidia will at least indirectly support Mir.
                wayland works with Android drivers the developer "Carsten Munk" who Made "Mir" was running wayland on android http://mer-project.blogspot.com Mir is just Libhybris the fan boys need to stop http://phoronix.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.png

Comment

mir

nvidia and amd will support mir, no doubt about that ubuntu dominates the linux desktop. wayland without ubuntu desktop have no future on desktop linux, why should nvidia or amd support a few millions of others desktops??? the people who use ubuntu continue to use ubuntu, and new ppl on linux started with ubuntu or derivates, itś commom sense.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ppl like dee don t see the reality, you need open your mine and see how the world works. i use archlinux not ubuntu

Comment

So your only source is an unaffiliated blog which doesn't even cite where it got that statement from?
                    The link it has in that section doesn't state anything about breaking compatibility.
                    Long shot and full of FUD.

Comment

wayland with Android drivers

wayland with Android drivers "Mir"http://phoronix.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.png is just a fork of Carsten Munk work Libhybris http://mer-project.blogspot.com/ heres a old video of Wayland on Android http://youtu.be/wInZgLolKgo

Comment

Working...
                      X