Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepomuk To See Speed Improvements In KDE 4.11

Phoronix: Nepomuk To See Speed Improvements In KDE 4.11

Nepomuk, the social semantic desktop search component used by KDE as well as GNOME through Zeitgeist, is a whole lot faster in conjunction with KDE 4.11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, what? I didn't know that Zeitgiest is a refactored Nepomuk. So, Gnome uses kde technology?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Wait, what? I didn't know that Zeitgiest is a refactored Nepomuk. So, Gnome uses kde technology?
      Its based on the same logig, but it would be nice if it were both the same software.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        It's not they just go hand in hand.Simmilar goals different way of doing it.Zeitgeist is like asking "where" and "when" and Nepomunk "how" and "what".
        Last edited by kUrb1a; 29 May 2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Obvious question - it may now be even faster, but has anyone actually found a purpose for it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            Obvious question - it may now be even faster, but has anyone actually found a purpose for it yet?
            It's acctualy very usefull but like many things in KDE everything is covered under the loads of options. (not a bad thing dough) Best way to use it is in restrictive enviroments where file management is not so usefull thing to have. (tablets,smarthphones) Check Plasma Active for example.
            this is the file browser application in the upcoming Plasma Active 3it's possible to browse files by type, view them ((the image viewer is now integrated), t...

Comment

BTW: Its Zeistgeist (which means Ghost of Time).
              For spelling see: http://vrserver3.linguatec.net/Serve...011&guilang=de
              Last edited by Thaodan; 29 May 2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                BTW: Its Zeistgeist (which means Ghost of Time).
                For spelling see: http://vrserver3.linguatec.net/Serve...011&guilang=de
                Actually, it is Zeitgeist, not Zeistgeist.

Comment

Oh sorry this was a misspelling from me and this as German

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                    I use it in conjunction with Krunner for quick searching of files. I honestly kind of wish you could run it as root so that it could replace mlocate as the over all "Filesystem Indexer" OR could at least hook in to mlocate's database so that you could search beyond your home director from one prompt.

Sorting by date is convenient if you cant find a file but know when about you last touched it. If you don't have a lot of files, then no its not much use because you know where everything is, its probably not 10 or 15 folders deep if you DO know where it is, and you dont have that much stuff to look through if you cant find something. But for me, someone who has multiple computer's worth of folders syncing in and out, its a nice way to keep track of everything.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X