KDE 4.11 Will Be The Last Major KDE4 Workspaces Feature Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
    It will be released when it is ready. (Hopefully in the not too distant future)
    So the first alpha or beta builds of KDE 5 should be out soon for us to play with?

Also this sounds like KDE SC 4 is reaching maturity and thus becoming stable much like KDE 3.5.10 was the last stable release for the 3.x series

Comment

So wait.... 2.0 > 4.11?

Ok, that seems reasonable and logical...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        So wait.... 2.0 > 4.11?
        Xbox One > Xbox 360.
        Windows 7 > Windows 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Xbox One > Xbox 360.
          Windows 7 > Windows 2000.
          Well, yeah, but those are clearly in different types of numbering systems. They don't go from "Xbox 360" to "Xbox 350" or "Windows 7" to "Windows 5".

Just saying...

Comment

Well, yeah, but those are clearly in different types of numbering systems. They don't go from "Xbox 360" to "Xbox 350" or "Windows 7" to "Windows 5".

Just saying...
            You're taking things out of context Dee...

KDE Software Compilation is currently at 4.11
            KDE Frameworks is currently at 4.11
            Plasma Workspace is currently at 1.0 (essentially. )

KDE 5 is:

KDE Software Compilation 5.0
            KDE Frameworks 5.0
            Plasma Workspace 2.0

The workspace refers specifically to Plasma (the over all shell). The Frameworks refers to the libraries. And KDE Software Compilation is the Frameworks + The workspace + All the default apps they ship together to form "The KDE Desktop." You're mixing version numbers from different things.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              So the first alpha or beta builds of KDE 5 should be out soon for us to play with?

Also this sounds like KDE SC 4 is reaching maturity and thus becoming stable much like KDE 3.5.10 was the last stable release for the 3.x series
              Expect an alpha or beta probably this holiday season. The current idea is to ship a finished product early next year, so this holiday season is about on the usual timetable.

Again this is all subject to change if they realize they royally screwed something up or if something changes upstream
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Just saying...
                The current version 4.x number is not a technical but a historical one because ?KDE4? was split into the three pillars after 4.3.
                Plasma is not based on KDesktop and Kicker and therefore is currently technically in the 1.x phase.

I do fully agree that counting version numbers backwards is totally stupid for many reasons but I believe the reason that finally resulted in that numbering decision is that many core KDE devs seem to be genuinely fed up that after four fucking years total retards still ask for ?KDE5? (although they are more polite in their blog posts than I am now).
                I got the impression that they probably believe that with a version number <4 even the biggest retards will get that Plasma Workspaces 2 and K Desktop Environment 2 are not the same thing. I, however, am confident that stupidity in some humans is endless and that they'll still call it ?KDE5? in 2015.

Comment

I don't think it's idiotic or retarded to not know that KDE is now considered to be composed of three independent components. I mean, I have an up to date KDE desktop on gentoo, and still had no inkling this was all considered seperate like this, it updates a kde-meta package and this pulls in dependencies. That said, I haven't gone out bothering anyone about when KDE5 is coming out either

Comment

Originally posted by hwertz View Post
                    I don't think it's idiotic or retarded to not know that KDE is now considered to be composed of three independent components. I mean, I have an up to date KDE desktop on gentoo, and still had no inkling this was all considered seperate like this, it updates a kde-meta package and this pulls in dependencies. That said, I haven't gone out bothering anyone about when KDE5 is coming out either
                    More importantly: You didn't write the article. Michael wrote the article and wrote it in a way that the article actually contradicts an entire four paragraphs long section of the blog post with its own headline. It's not some small oversight like in http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...1-1868457.html where the author accidentally wrote Software Collection instead of Software Compilation.
                    And Michael writes about KDE since years, trying to resemble an actual journalist and yet after four (!) years his brain is not able to process a few basic facts.

Comment

Just saying...
                      For an example of a seemingly nonsensical jump in a same-format version numbering scheme (unfortunately, going in the opposite direction, but still illustrating a point) look at Solaris version numbers jumping from 2.6 to 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solari...ersion_history

That's the kind of thing that makes sense only to people who know why the numbers changed. It's gonna suck when Plasma Workspaces reaches version 4.

Comment

Working...
                      X