Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Releases Skype For Linux 4.2, Has Bug-Fixes

Phoronix: Microsoft Releases Skype For Linux 4.2, Has Bug-Fixes

Microsoft has finally done the Skype for Linux 4.2 update, which rolls in a bunch of bug-fixes but still doesn't put the Linux Skype client on par with OS X or Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From what I gather WebRTC is a new competing solution to Skype by allowing a web developer to create relatively easily web-based skype alternatives, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      From what I gather WebRTC is a new competing solution to Skype by allowing a web developer to create relatively easily web-based skype alternatives, right?
      Pretty much, maybe not encrypted (it could probably be done, just i dont think mandated by the standard), maybe not screensharing, but voice calls? video calls? Yes
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Pretty much, maybe not encrypted (it could probably be done, just i dont think mandated by the standard), maybe not screensharing, but voice calls? video calls? Yes
        Skype isn't as encrypted as you think. MS decrypts everything on their servers, although it it's good enough to keep your average neighborhood script kiddy out. (See recent Ars article for details).

WebRTC is still in major flux and has a long way to go before it will actually be able to compete with Skype, but yes that's the general idea of where it's heading.

Comment

careful with skype. It's eavesdropping. -> http://www.h-online.com/security/new...e-1862870.html

Comment

Google Talk (XMPP) already exists and fills that niche. The problem is that most people are using Skype, and you can't persuade them to go use Google Talk instead...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Screensharing, filesharing etc is actually there in WebRTC. When it becomes more mature, we will have real competition in our hands again.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Google Talk (XMPP) already exists and fills that niche. The problem is that most people are using Skype, and you can't persuade them to go use Google Talk instead...
                huh? I thought they removed XMPP from GoogleTalk?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  huh? I thought they removed XMPP from GoogleTalk?
                  It's now called "Hangout" and is using their own protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                    It's now called "Hangout" and is using their own protocol.
                    Well, not quite. XMPP for client to client is still supported for text chats and this is an important piece for interoperability with other clients like Pidgin and Adium. What has been dropped is server side federation. Unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X