Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Look At Replacing Firefox With Chromium

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Look At Replacing Firefox With Chromium

Linux developers are considering this week replacing Mozilla Firefox with Chromium, Google's open-source version of their Chrome web-browser, for the Ubuntu 13.10 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Compared to upstream Google Chrome, Chromium lacks [...] support for the built-in Adobe PDF viewer, support for the built-in Adobe Flash player
    Not true, Michael. Support is there. The plugins are not shipped with it, but support is there. I'm using Chromium with Google's PPAPI Flash and their PDF plugin just fine. You just have to install the plugins manually and tell Chromium where to find the Flash one. (The PDF plugin is picked up automatically.)

Comment

probably makes sense given their mobile focus

I could list a 100 ways firefox is better, but for lite use chromium might be the better choice and it almost certainly is for phone and tablet use right now. So this probably makes sense for Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I could list a 100 ways firefox is better, but for lite use chromium might be the better choice and it almost certainly is for phone and tablet use right now.
        Not anymore. This is how Chrome started (Firefox started the same way,) but today it's just as bloated as Firefox.

Comment

for lite browsing they would have better luck with midoru, If they decide to make chromium default I guess I will have to remove it and install firefox for every new install I do.

Firefox is just too good these days.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Not anymore. This is how Chrome started (Firefox started the same way,) but today it's just as bloated as Firefox.

Yes, and probably Chromium spy on you like Chrome.

Comment

lol

i use chrome, but chromium use the same pluggins if we want, this decision is because flash, chrome is much better than firefox now, less user ram, great app shop, less bugs. this is not a problem for me

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                i use chrome, but chromium use the same pluggins if we want, this decision is because flash, chrome is much better than firefox now, less user ram, great app shop, less bugs. this is not a problem for me
                Chrome uses more ram than Firefox its a myth that it uses less. It just breaks itself up into multiple processes so at first glance it may look like less but its acctually uses more. As for less bugs to what are you referring?

Personnally I'm getting fed up with decisions about the desktop being made due to mobile issues, I want a superior desktop not a compromise between the two. I'm very close to jumping ship.
                Last edited by timothyja; 15 May 2013, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                  Over all-- more RAM. Chrome splits up tabs into separate processes so that they are sandboxed, but each one has all Chrome deps.

Chrome under use for 1hr: 1700mbs of RAM used.
                  Firefox under use for 1hr: 1200MBs of RAM being used.

Sites: Linuxhomepage.com, phoronix.com, arstechnica.com, h-online.com and news.google.com

Adblock is up on both. Before Firefox version...18 or so, I would've agreed. But the last few versions Mozilla has been paying special attention to RAM and CPU usage in no small part because Android firefox and Desktop firefox share much of the same code, therefore they cant be assuming "4gbs of ram" and instead have to make sure its good on 512mb or 1gb
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    Yes, and probably Chromium spy on you like Chrome.
                    The code is there for all to see. If you find something in there that's spyware, feel free to report it.

Comment

Working...
                    X