No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Look At Replacing Firefox With Chromium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So will this mean, if they really do change to Chromium, that users upgrading to 13.10 will have to have both Firefox and Chromium installed on their systems or would Firefox be removed as part of the 'upgrade' process?

Comment

If they decide to switch, then updating wold not remove firefox but you could do so afterwareds

Comment

I can understand their thoughts but my browser of choice is Firefox.

I'd probably use Rekonq but it lacks Flash and plug-ins to rid advertising and web-development(firebug).

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          I can understand their thoughts but my browser of choice is Firefox.

I'd probably use Rekonq but it lacks Flash and plug-ins to rid advertising and web-development(firebug).
          Rekonq has built-in adblocking, its under preferences. And I thought Rekonq supported NPAPI and therefore could use the flashplugin from firefox
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Rekonq has built-in adblocking, its under preferences. And I thought Rekonq supported NPAPI and therefore could use the flashplugin from firefox
            He probably meant that it lacks an updated Flash version. PPAPI Flash is up to 11.5 already and the NPAPI Flash plugin is permernently locked to v11.2 with only security and bug fixes for the next 4 years after which it will be discontinued.

Basically the only sane way to get upto-date Flash for Linux is to use Chromium or Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              He probably meant that it lacks an updated Flash version. PPAPI Flash is up to 11.5 already and the NPAPI Flash plugin is permernently locked to v11.2 with only security and bug fixes for the next 4 years after which it will be discontinued.

Basically the only sane way to get upto-date Flash for Linux is to use Chromium or Chrome.
              Yeah I get that, I've been thinking the last couple days of how to handle the Flash situation... I've settled on having Flash installed at 11.2, add in flashblock to prevent security issues and auto-play flash content draining my battery. For Youtube I've started using Minitube which is hardware accelerated over QOpenGL, and for other flash content in browser if i have to use it, i'll just whitelist it for Flashblock.

Oh, and I installed (but disabled) gnash and lightspark so that i know when they get updates and can test them out to see if their at acceptable levels now. It really is a shame that Youtube still has a lot of crap that is Flash only :/
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah I get that, I've been thinking the last couple days of how to handle the Flash situation... I've settled on having Flash installed at 11.2, add in flashblock to prevent security issues and auto-play flash content draining my battery. For Youtube I've started using Minitube which is hardware accelerated over QOpenGL, and for other flash content in browser if i have to use it, i'll just whitelist it for Flashblock.

Oh, and I installed (but disabled) gnash and lightspark so that i know when they get updates and can test them out to see if their at acceptable levels now. It really is a shame that Youtube still has a lot of crap that is Flash only :/
                Yeah, I'm curious to know if Google will ever either convert (not a good idea because they only keep the highest quality display version, and not the original video from what I know and you'll lose what quality is left in those video's) existing video's to something open, or at least have some sort of Flash-to somthing open converter at their end so it feeds us the old stuff without us having to have the flash plugin in stalled. Fast-track the Flash deathknell a couple of years, especially now since Google just released a WebM update.
                Hi

Comment

Sounds like a step backwards.

Wouldn't Chrome's appstore just compete with the Ubuntu Software Center. If all of the recent changes Canocial made were to monetize Ubuntu, then Chromium as defualt would be a step backwards.

Comment

Flash to WebM converter

Registered just to say this: get https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...be-day/?src=ss. It's a Firefox plugin that allows you to watch any Youtube video without any sort of flash. I only use Free Software, and I can view any Youtube video using this. It's a bit annoying how you have to click on the little icon on the addon bar to use it (I would normally have the addon bar hidden), but the developer said that it will eventually be embedded directly into the page in a future version.

Comment

problem?

no big problem, the people want to use firefox install in 2 min and use it, simple, i like to see on ubuntu is a option to pre install google chrome and not chromium, like they do with mp3, or even better, we choose what browser we want before instalation of ubuntu, firefox, chromium, chrome, midori, etc

Comment

Working...
                      X