Canonical Shows Mir, Unity-Next Running On MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Mir doesn't even have windows yet, everything is full screen.
    And AFAIK, wayland still doesn't have minimizing. So your point is?

I'm not saying I endorse Mir, but Canonical is proving pretty good progress with it. I just wish they could've put this attention to Wayland, as that would've made a great project that would reduce fragmentation.

Comment

Hmmmm

Personally I don't care, who brings us an X replacment be it (Wayland, Mer or ....). I don't particularly care if Gtk or EFL
      are supported either as long at Qt and OpenGL with hardware acceleration via Nvidia's binary drivers are supported and working.

I only have 2 Gtk applications even installed on my system Gimp and Inkscape. And at the rate Krita is going it will be capable of replacing gimp or
      the foundation will be completely laid for someone to come along and implement the proper capabilities into Krita to replace gimp.

Inkscape is an easy one to develop, and Qt supports everything needed and then some out of the box to develop a replacement. Doesn't have to support
      svg, any open vector format will do.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        And AFAIK, wayland still doesn't have minimizing. So your point is?

I'm not saying I endorse Mir, but Canonical is proving pretty good progress with it. I just wish they could've put this attention to Wayland, as that would've made a great project that would reduce fragmentation.
        My only point is that Wayland was showing more advanced demos years ago.

You can't point to this video and claim it's evidence that Mir is kicking wayland's butt like some people already have. It's actually very simplistic, and not doing much.

I won't get into the whole question of whether mir is good/bad/whatever, because that's been done to death a million times already.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
          Personally I don't care, who brings us an X replacment be it (Wayland, Mer or ....). I don't particularly care if Gtk or EFL
          are supported either as long at Qt and OpenGL with hardware acceleration via Nvidia's binary drivers are supported and working.

I only have 2 Gtk applications even installed on my system Gimp and Inkscape. And at the rate Krita is going it will be capable of replacing gimp or
          the foundation will be completely laid for someone to come along and implement the proper capabilities into Krita to replace gimp.

Inkscape is an easy one to develop, and Qt supports everything needed and then some out of the box to develop a replacement. Doesn't have to support
          I don't use any qt application, for me gtk is so important hahahaa

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
            I don't use any qt application, for me gtk is so important hahahaa
            Thats cool, hopefully someday soon it will be that way for both of our toolkits. I was a Gtk developer for a long time(8 years) but
            I find as a developer. Qt has a lot more to offer, writing complex applications are just so much easier for "me".

Comment

Nice KDE tshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Ugh. Another tablet OS running on a desktop computer. DO NOT WANT. Hopefully they have more plans and just haven't gotten to it yet.
                If you tried reading, you would know that the unity-next UI shown is for the tablet version. They won't put together the desktop interface until the tablet phone version is done, starting after Ubuntu 13.10 is released. Reading, its how we learn things.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post

Untrue. Krita has an entirely different purpose and goal from GIMP. It is in some respect much more advanced than GIMP (mainly, it's support of OpenGL rendering, colourspaces, high bit depths, dynamic effects) but GIMP is catching up on a lot of those (2.9 already has higher bit depths), and there's lots of stuff you can do on GIMP that is impossible or very impractical on Krita (G'MIC comes to mind). And ultimately it doesn't matter, because the two softwares are not in competition with each other - they complement each other: GIMP is a multi-purpose, general image manipulation framework with great scalability and modularity, while Krita is more geared towards illustration, digital drawing/painting and that sort of stuff. I use both softwares extensively so I know what I'm talking about.

None of the alternatives for Inkscape come close to its functionality, and Inkscape itself has no plans on migrating to Qt, so good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Mir uses the work done upstream like XWayland customized as XMir, thanks to Wayland by 2012 it had plenty of critical questions answered of what and how should be done to move away from X, much better drivers than in 2008 and a stack of software that changed to support Wayland which with minor or no effort suits Mir too.
                    So yes, Mir took off faster (though it still won't be ready till 2014), but it would have taken like 3 more years if not for Wayland, and if Canonical helped back in 2010 Wayland would be done by 2012 I guess.
                    So suggesting that the Canonical devs are somehow more agile/smart/whatever is asinine.
                    And I view that all of that being enabled by the previous work as definitely a good thing. It says we're probably on the right track as far as that goes. I personally have a philosophical/political issue with MIR but that doesn't detract from all the work being done by both people to get both into a working state. I imagine that having an alternative implementation will help find design issues and bugs in the APIs for the linux graphics stack that should enable it to be much more robust.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      Untrue. Krita has an entirely different purpose and goal from GIMP. It is in some respect much more advanced than GIMP (mainly, it's support of OpenGL rendering, colourspaces, high bit depths, dynamic effects) but GIMP is catching up on a lot of those (2.9 already has higher bit depths), and there's lots of stuff you can do on GIMP that is impossible or very impractical on Krita (G'MIC comes to mind). And ultimately it doesn't matter, because the two softwares are not in competition with each other - they complement each other: GIMP is a multi-purpose, general image manipulation framework with great scalability and modularity, while Krita is more geared towards illustration, digital drawing/painting and that sort of stuff. I use both softwares extensively so I know what I'm talking about.

None of the alternatives for Inkscape come close to its functionality, and Inkscape itself has no plans on migrating to Qt, so good luck with that.

Nice try at trolling but fail on your part.
                      A: I said Krita is getting to the point of being able to be developed as a replacement for gimp. G'MIC is getting ready to be merged into Krita besides GraphicsMagick or ITK can do the same thing.
                      and filters are the absolutely easiest thing to implement.

B: I didn't say they were in competition with each other, but ultimately user and developers of Kde/Qt want there own Qt based "Image Editing" applications.

C: I said Qt provides everything needed to build an Inkscape Alternative, not that there was already one available.

I ma happy you use Gimp and Inkscape, so do I if you would have read my full comment you would have realized this had nothing to do with anything other than having Qt replacements that I could also work on with out having to develop the software from scratch my self.

Note: I am very familiar with Gimp, Inkscape and Krita's code bases as I tend to barrow code from all three when working on my own applications... Example

Take a guess on what this application is being developed to do?

Comment

Working...
                      X