Mozilla Firefox 21 Hits The Web With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    I will use Firefox until I'm in a coffin. Or perhaps Opera.
    What, you never go to operas?

Comment

I would like to see them solve their responsiveness and performance problems stemming from threading and GUI architecture together with implementing SVG fonts. SVG fonts does not seem like a priority to Mozilla.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Shipped as default on Android.
        One small correction, uid, its not the default on android. I forget what the default IS (maybe its some fork of chromium) but you still have to install Chrome through the PlayStore as of 4.2.2
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Many people saying firefox is slow and consumes a lot of memory maybe haven't checked out new versions of it. In my case newer firefox versions startup faster than chrome and consume less memory, even the rendering has better performance than chrome.

Also webgl applications work pretty well on firefox while on chrome they almost never work correctly. And I'm using Xubuntu.

Comment

I'm getting a score of 394 at html5test.com with version 20. I'll update to 21 and see if it went up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by Greijoan View Post
              I never said that Chrome overtook Firefox. I only said that it's faster, which I would like to see in the new version of FF. Also please don't tell me that FF is memory efficient
              Faster? On WHAT? Chrome is a cow. FF is at least a factor of 10 faster in rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                What about some stability Mozilla Foundation ? It's not fun when one is reading/writing something and the whole thing blows.
                What crappy addons are you running? The only way for me to crash Firefox for the las several releases since I don't have Flash installed is to load up on a few hundred Javascript heavy pages till I've maxed out my ram and eaten up close to all of my swap. But then I'm only on a box from 2005, an Athlon64 3500+ Clawhammer w/ 2Gb of ram and 2Gb of swap. So 400 javascript tabs is a reasonable number before it shits the bed.

Comment

Indeed, I haven't seen Firefox crash on Linux for at least a few years now.

About the update, I wonder if there were any improvements in PDF rendering speed. It's quite annoying as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    What, you never go to operas?
                    I admit it, you got me there.

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    Many people saying firefox is slow and consumes a lot of memory maybe haven't checked out new versions of it. In my case newer firefox versions startup faster than chrome and consume less memory, even the rendering has better performance than chrome.
                    On your machine, yes. That is another issue with browser flame wars. The browsers seem to behave wildly differently in different hardware/software environments, leading to meaningless debates with anecdotal evidence and everyone believing that they must be right because they can see it with their own eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                      On your machine, yes. That is another issue with browser flame wars. The browsers seem to behave wildly differently in different hardware/software environments, leading to meaningless debates with anecdotal evidence and everyone believing that they must be right because they can see it with their own eyes.
                      Well, on the same machine with older firefox versions chrome was faster, but if I recall correctly since version 18, firefox began to gain some traction. Also it seems mozilla is improving a lot firefox on the light of upcoming FireFox OS, they added JIT javascript, improved memory consumption, startup times, rendering performance, etc...

I guess that's all due to a browser that is going to be used as a base for overall functionality of an operating system.
                      Last edited by TheOne; 14 May 2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X