X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rexilion
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'm not talking about PackageKit. And I'm already using PackageKit, by the way. What I'm against is "app stores" (yay for copyright Apple terms?). They have useless features and way too simplistic interfaces. Package managers have worked just fine so far, I don't see the need for "app stores".
    To me, PackageKit is an equivalent of the AppStore for Linux. So? I think it's good. No one wants to be bothered by huge lists of packages containing libs and weird suffixes (-dev you say?).

Seriously, what's the real difference between tapping on an icon to install AngryBirds, or clicking on an icon to install vsftpd as an FTP-server? They both install software the user is requesting. What is the latter (over)symplifying over the former?

That said, I'm wondering how Gentoo is handling Packagekit with respect to useflags (haven't checked it out).

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I disapprove this comment. The reason being that the poster fails to understand that PackageKit is not there to replace his package manager. He probably doesn't understand what PackageKit even is.
    I'm not talking about PackageKit. And I'm already using PackageKit, by the way. What I'm against is "app stores" (yay for copyright Apple terms?). They have useless features and way too simplistic interfaces. Package managers have worked just fine so far, I don't see the need for "app stores".

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    I like my package managers just fine, thank you very much.
    Yeah but what about proprietary SW. Ie a CAD/CAE suite, and any app you need and that FOSS ones can't match.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I disapprove this comment. The reason being that the poster fails to understand that PackageKit is not there to replace his package manager. He probably doesn't understand what PackageKit even is.

Leave a comment:

• kUrb1a
    replied
    Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    I approve this comment.
    Ditto !

Leave a comment:

• Redi44
    replied
    +1

I approve this comment.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Woot, appstore for Linux .

Leave a comment:

• kUrb1a
    replied
    When was appstream created and discussed Ubuntu devs where there and they liked the idea.As far as i can tell Ubuntu's collaboration was critical in some way.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So,
    1st they were collaborative.
    2nd PackageKit was broken and bad frontend for a very long time and a lot of effort when't to fix that on Canonical (not directly to project) end so that we have sensible App management (search/installation/removal) .

To have a better picture of the situation here is in Michael words :

Ubuntu's Software Center will serve as the front-end user-interface after it's been ported to utilize PackageKit. Xapian (already used by Ubuntu ) servers will then power the search and utilize the Open Collaboration Service (OCS) for some of the social aspects like user ratings and reviews. The AppStream interface will just be a front-end to PackageKit so that each distribution can then continue rely upon their existing package management systems, but the complexities are hidden from the user.
    Last edited by kUrb1a; 13 May 2013, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nej_simon
    replied
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    Am hoping ubuntu adopts linstaller, 0install or Nix...
    Ubuntu is creating their own solution as usual so that's unlikely!

"I find it very sad that so many parties currently start reinventing the basic ideas of Listaller, instead of helping the Listaller project to improve, and kill the remaining flaws," Matthias Klumpp, creator of the Listaller package-management system, wrote in reply to Watson.
    Last edited by nej_simon; 13 May 2013, 04:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rexilion
    replied
    Woot, appstore for Linux .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X