The State Of PackageKit, AppStream, & Listaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I like my package managers just fine, thank you very much.
    Just because it's there doesn't mean you need to install or even use it. Are you implying that everyone should just forget about it since you don't want it? I hope not. That would be incredibly selfish and narrow minded.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
      Just because it's there doesn't mean you need to install or even use it. Are you implying that everyone should just forget about it since you don't want it? I hope not. That would be incredibly selfish and narrow minded.
      Kind of lame, shooting first and asking questions later...

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
        Nope. I'm explicitly stating that I'm not a fan of the idea, with no other assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          I'm not talking about PackageKit. And I'm already using PackageKit, by the way. What I'm against is "app stores" (yay for copyright Apple terms?). They have useless features and way too simplistic interfaces. Package managers have worked just fine so far, I don't see the need for "app stores".
          Oh. Well, I only ever use one app store. The Chrome one, where I get Chrome extensions and applications. It's very good IMO and I have nothing against it.

Comment

You know what is the real problem with nearly all package formats? They are a chore to make. I have a real great load of respect to all the distros for packaging software. I have been using GNU/Linux for over 10 years now and I still can't wrap my head around making an rpm or deb of my own apps or scripts (seriously - the spec files have more code than some of my apps :-P ) (keep in mind that I'm only an amateur developer). I tried various other universal installers, but most of them are hard to use also (BitRock was pretty good, but that one is commercial). From what I've just seen Listaller isn't any better... Come on, can't we just agree on some packaging format that is effortless to create? :-P

I made 0install feeds/packages for my apps last weekend and the workflow is quite good despite some few annoyances (and there's a GUI app for making the package feeds!), so I'll stick with that for now.

Comment

Working...
            X