• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    I approve this comment.
    Ditto !

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I like my package managers just fine, thank you very much.
      I disapprove this comment. The reason being that the poster fails to understand that PackageKit is not there to replace his package manager. He probably doesn't understand what PackageKit even is.

Comment

I like my package managers just fine, thank you very much.
        Yeah but what about proprietary SW. Ie a CAD/CAE suite, and any app you need and that FOSS ones can't match.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I disapprove this comment. The reason being that the poster fails to understand that PackageKit is not there to replace his package manager. He probably doesn't understand what PackageKit even is.
          I'm not talking about PackageKit. And I'm already using PackageKit, by the way. What I'm against is "app stores" (yay for copyright Apple terms?). They have useless features and way too simplistic interfaces. Package managers have worked just fine so far, I don't see the need for "app stores".

Comment

I'm not talking about PackageKit. And I'm already using PackageKit, by the way. What I'm against is "app stores" (yay for copyright Apple terms?). They have useless features and way too simplistic interfaces. Package managers have worked just fine so far, I don't see the need for "app stores".
            To me, PackageKit is an equivalent of the AppStore for Linux. So? I think it's good. No one wants to be bothered by huge lists of packages containing libs and weird suffixes (-dev you say?).

Seriously, what's the real difference between tapping on an icon to install AngryBirds, or clicking on an icon to install vsftpd as an FTP-server? They both install software the user is requesting. What is the latter (over)symplifying over the former?

That said, I'm wondering how Gentoo is handling Packagekit with respect to useflags (haven't checked it out).

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
              To me, PackageKit is an equivalent of the AppStore for Linux. So? I think it's good. No one wants to be bothered by huge lists of packages containing libs and weird suffixes (-dev you say?).

Seriously, what's the real difference between tapping on an icon to install AngryBirds, or clicking on an icon to install vsftpd as an FTP-server? They both install software the user is requesting. What is the latter (over)symplifying over the former?

That said, I'm wondering how Gentoo is handling Packagekit with respect to useflags (haven't checked it out).
              PackageKit is a package manager abstraction. It's not bad by itself. I'm talking about things like Ubuntu Software Centre and the proposed openSUSE store.

And oversimplificaton is important. For instance, YaST allows me to see the package size instantly. It also allows solving dependencies in a sane manner, instead of an all-or-nothing approach. That's important functionality and I don't want it to go away.

Comment

PackageKit is a package manager abstraction. It's not bad by itself. I'm talking about things like Ubuntu Software Centre and the proposed openSUSE store.
                And oversimplificaton is important. For instance, YaST allows me to see the package size instantly. It also allows solving dependencies in a sane manner, instead of an all-or-nothing approach. That's important functionality and I don't want it to go away.
                So? Provide an appstore with an 'advanced' button and presto!

Besides, if you want (full) control. Go Gentoo (like I did).

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  So? Provide an appstore with an 'advanced' button and presto!

Besides, if you want (full) control. Go Gentoo (like I did).

You don't have to switch whole god damn distribution and change complete mindset to install few packages or to just give you a little bit more information.For me Synaptic is ruler among them all but that's just me.I think it's a good point to simplify things and to make clear distinction between store and manager of packages.But nevertheless they all kinda suck at this.They all look horrible,not very usable for end user.

Comment

Interesting, looking forward.

Would like a stable package installation format and API.

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
                      You don't have to switch whole god damn distribution and change complete mindset to install few packages or to just give you a little bit more information.For me Synaptic is ruler among them all but that's just me.I think it's a good point to simplify things and to make clear distinction between store and manager of packages.But nevertheless they all kinda suck at this.They all look horrible,not very usable for end user.
                      Take a look at Ubuntu's package manager. It looks really nice. Gives you the total size of each package, changelogs and version info. This is also the case for the updater.

Comment

Working...
                      X