Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Development Of GNOME Shell, Mutter 3.10

Phoronix: Starting Development Of GNOME Shell, Mutter 3.10

With the first GNOME 3.10 development release due this week, the first GNOME 3.10 development snapshots (v3.9.1) of the GNOME Shell desktop and Mutter compositing window manager were checked in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Utter crap

Lots of features, but the essential one is still lacking: usability. I gave gnome 3.8 a try because of the new "Classic" mode and let me tell you it really sucks. I'm really dissapointed by the fact that I'm much more productive with Windows XP (which is a 10+ years old OS) than with that crap. Thanks god we have XFCE, or I probably wouldn't be using Linux anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Lots of features, but the essential one is still lacking: usability.
      Lots of bugfixes - all of them usability related.
      Such would be on the list of the next month bugfix release of kde ....

Comment

Do they have a list of features they're removing for this version?

Like forcing a 256-color palette or something like that?

Comment

this is not surprising. many linux enthusiasts do not use linux as their main machine. therefore, linux is just a part time plaything, they are not taking the desktop linux seriously. it's the same way with BSD, but there the devs never had an agenda to overtake Windows, so their usage of Mac/Windows is open and without pretension.

Comment

I'd say the audience of Phoronix is far different from the audience for GNOME. People who do very technical work with their computers probably have very specific requirements of their desktop environment.

Even still, the approach GNOME has taken has merit, and GNOME is the favorite DE of my family and friends who have taken an interest in Linux. I think the usability issues are usually overexaggerated. After all, if you started using Linux with GNOME 3, you may find the other environments inhibitive and kludgy to use.

GNOME 3 could always use some improvement, but the core methods of interaction aren't so ill-concieved as people tend to say.

That aside, I'm looking forward to the revival of GNOME Shell's Wayland interface, since the prior version was built and demoed far before Wayland hit 1.0.

Comment

I'm a fanboy of Gnome 3, and it's looks like the 3 series is getting to the "really polished" stage now.

Although why are they bothering with a Maps application: "We need a maps application for GNOME 3", no we don't, just go to your browser and use one of the many map and route planner sites available. Why waste time on it? Same goes for that Clocks app as well.

Comment

I've been always a Gnome fanboy, but I really find myself more productive with Unity, even if I hate its dash with a passion. I find the path some linux desktops have taken is the path Apple has taken with iOS and Microsoft with Win8, focused on content consumption instead of easing workflows for content creation.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  I'm a fanboy of Gnome 3, and it's looks like the 3 series is getting to the "really polished" stage now.

Although why are they bothering with a Maps application: "We need a maps application for GNOME 3", no we don't, just go to your browser and use one of the many map and route planner sites available. Why waste time on it? Same goes for that Clocks app as well.
                  Keep in mind, Gnome devs have specifically said they want to target the mobile and tablet market.Therefore they need all the "Same" things as competitors. They need a clock app (read: alarm) they need a maps app, they need a radio app and whatever else Android and iOS ship with.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Keep in mind, Gnome devs have specifically said they want to target the mobile and tablet market.
                    Gnome2 fanboys and other desktop enthusiasts should look at enlightenment:
                    Yesterday I tried the X11:enlightenment repository from openSUSE. Really astonishing ...

Comment

Working...
                    X