Lightworks Linux Beta Is Finally Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    OSS video editing tried and failed several times, to the point that almost all ofthe projects that where looking to make anything beyond the most basic functions was abandoned. Some of us needed a reason to finally leave OS X or Windows for video editing and this is it.
    +1

...and even without that reason. Linux users *desperately* needs a good video editor. Myself, i am done waiting and Lightworks is the only choice. If i had to wait for kdenlive, openshot, etc to catchup / offer same features / same quality - I bet i would be waiting YEARS for anything good to arrive from any of the OSS video editors....

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I think the people using OS X and Windows can stay there.
    Maybe they like OS X and Windows, then thats great for them.

Don't need them.
    You're a _very_ simple-minded person, eh? ...I kinda have to wonder if it is not actually the opposite - that is, that 'Desktop Linux' needs a larger user-base (ie: more Mac/Win users migrating over) and to possibly lose some of it's ubuntu fanboy / fosstarded evangelists. (ie: you).
    Last edited by ninez; 30 April 2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      You're a _very_ simple-minded person, eh? ...I kinda have to wonder if it is not actually the opposite - that is, that 'Desktop Linux' needs a larger user-base (ie: Mac/Win users) and to possibly lose some of it's ubuntu fanboy / fosstarded evangelists. (ie: you).
      This. The best thing we could do is ban the basement dwellers from speaking. So you use Slackware/Gentoo/Arch/Yggdrasil/rape me in the ass with a baseball bat wrapped in razor wire Linux, great, but we don't need you telling everyone else that they need to know a minimum of 3 programming languages and have every terminal command committed to memory if they need help with anything on Linux. You don't see that on OS X or Windows forums.

Comment

...rape me in the ass with a baseball bat wrapped in razor wire Linux...
        You mean Ubuntu?

Comment

@xeekel: considering the direction he went, probably more like crux or LFS.

Anyhow, AFAICT the theory is that they port Lightworks themselves, and when it's ready they release the source code.

Comment

This. The best thing we could do is ban the basement dwellers from speaking. So you use Slackware/Gentoo/Arch/Yggdrasil/rape me in the ass with a baseball bat wrapped in razor wire Linux, great, but we don't need you telling everyone else that they need to know a minimum of 3 programming languages and have every terminal command committed to memory if they need help with anything on Linux. You don't see that on OS X or Windows forums.
            Kivada, i never said jackshit about needing to know 3 (or any) programming languages, nor did i say anything about people having to have XYZ terminal command memorized.... Where did you get this impression, exactly??? I take it you just like making up shit, then - since that is what you have just done (unless, i am misunderstanding your post / you weren't clear enough).....I'll admit, maybe i was ridiculing / on the offense in my response (not to you, but to uid313), but imo his nonsensical comments were deserving of just that (ridicule).

...and I live in my own house, purchased with my own income (2nd home owner) and don't live in a basement, thank you very much.
            Last edited by ninez; 30 April 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

...I kinda have to wonder if it is not actually the opposite - that is, that 'Desktop Linux' needs a larger user-base (ie: more Mac/Win users migrating over) and to possibly lose some of it's ubuntu fanboy / fosstarded evangelists. (ie: you).
              I am a believer in FLOSS, some might even call me an evangelist, but I'm also a pragmatist and know computers and software are just tools, so I use the Nvidia blob and closed source software (games, applications) when it serves my needs best. If some FLOSS can replace a closed source app, I will prefer that and am willing to change and learn a new workflow.

uid313 is a troll, nothing else. Please don't take his opinion as representative to all of us who prefer Free Software.

About Lightworks: I look forward to test it and follow it, especially when (if ever) it will become open source. I'm not a fan of companies using the term "open source" just to gain publicity, without understanding what it really means. Good integration of ffmpeg/ffmbc in the OSS version could undermine their commercial version for many, but again, $60/year is nothing for commercial use, and I don't mind it. I agree that Lightworks, open source or not, can help with adoption of the Linux platform.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                I am a believer in FLOSS, some might even call me an evangelist, but I'm also a pragmatist and know computers and software are just tools, so I use the Nvidia blob and closed source software (games, applications) when it serves my needs best. If some FLOSS can replace a closed source app, I will prefer that and am willing to change and learn a new workflow.
                You're preaching to the choir ~ I too am very pragmatic, but yes, FOSS is preferred... (I'm the) same way though - whatever tool serves my needs best.

uid313 is a troll, nothing else. Please don't take his opinion as representative to all of us who prefer Free Software.
                I don't think he is representative

About Lightworks: I look forward to test it and follow it, especially when (if ever) it will become open source. I'm not a fan of companies using the term "open source" just to gain publicity, without understanding what it really means. Good integration of ffmpeg/ffmbc in the OSS version could undermine their commercial version for many, but again, $60/year is nothing for commercial use, and I don't mind it. I agree that Lightworks, open source or not, can help with adoption of the Linux platform.
                I've been using Lightworks since the 1st Alpha release - a lot of bugs, improvements have been made throughout that cycle. Hopefully, the beta goes very well too. I don't think EditShare is using FOSS just to gain publicity. I get they impression that they do have plans that involve opening their software (or the core, anyway), but i don't think this will happen anytime soon....

i agree $60/year isn't much for commercial use... for me, Video editing is/was one of the only reasons left to buy (another) Mac in the future. (I use Linux more, but have a Mac too for things desktop linux sucks at and/or the odd app).

Comment

Kivada, i never said jackshit about needing to know 3 (or any) programming languages, nor did i say anything about people having to have XYZ terminal command memorized.... Where did you get this impression, exactly??? I take it you just like making up shit, then - since that is what you have just done (unless, i am misunderstanding your post / you weren't clear enough).....I'll admit, maybe i was ridiculing / on the offense in my response (not to you, but to uid313), but imo his nonsensical comments were deserving of just that (ridicule).

...and I live in my own house, purchased with my own income (2nd home owner) and don't live in a basement, thank you very much.
                  Reading comprehension much? I was agreeing with you.

Comment

Reading comprehension much? I was agreeing with you.
                    Ah, sorry for the confusion; In your post, you weren't entirely clear who (specifically) you were addressing in your comment. yes, i know you quoted me, but it was a little unclear. For example, i do use Archlinux, i can be a total dick in forums (to people like uid313 anyway) and i also did make the comment to him;

wow, you can cut and paste from a terminal - you deserve a metal!
                    which is definitely an insult, maybe not to the degree of 'having to know 3 programming languages', but along those lines, for sure. I thought you may have been insulted by something that i said - since it _appeared_ that i was falling into some of your remarks.

honest mistake, my bad kivada

Comment

OSS video editing tried and failed several times, to the point that almost all ofthe projects that where looking to make anything beyond the most basic functions was abandoned.
                      I am inclined to agree if you used gaming as an example. For video editing I have found kdenlive to be a good alternative. I have seen your cathegorical statements before even on this forum, but I have yet to see anybody providing examples of what they see missing in kdenlive. Please feel free to educate me, for my use kdenlive is highly advanced, maybe there is some professional usage you refer to?

Comment

Working...
                      X