Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Does Maemo ring a bell?
    It's the thing that used a heavily modified GTK version (Hildon) because normal GTK was not up to the task and after a while Nokia came to the conclusion that using Qt instead is the superior way.
    BlackBerry, Canonical, and Jolla came to exactly the same conclusion which is why all these use Qt these days in their mobile offerings and not GTK/Hildon. Even Samsung and Intel support Qt next to EFL in Tizen but not GTK/Hildon.

GTK as it exists now is dying. Even the GTK maintainers know that which is way even shortly after GTK 3.0 came out they thought about how to fix GTK and make a 4.0 release happen. As reported recently on Phoronix they plan to replace large parts with Clutter.

Comment

Gtk looks better on KDE though (since Oxygen can be used.) Qt5 looks like ass :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        You're talking about the dead phone OS, right?
        Dead or not, it did show that GTK on mobile is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          It's the thing that used a heavily modified GTK version (Hildon) because normal GTK was not up to the task and after a while Nokia came to the conclusion that using Qt instead is the superior way.
          BlackBerry, Canonical, and Jolla came to exactly the same conclusion which is why all these use Qt these days in their mobile offerings and not GTK/Hildon. Even Samsung and Intel support Qt next to EFL in Tizen but not GTK/Hildon.

GTK as it exists now is dying. Even the GTK maintainers know that which is way even shortly after GTK 3.0 came out they thought about how to fix GTK and make a 4.0 release happen. As reported recently on Phoronix they plan to replace large parts with Clutter.
          Not everything has to be a thing on mobile/embedded though. Contrary to all the hype, we're not all going to ditch our desktop computers and do everything with 10" tablets in the future... GTK (both 2 and 3) work just fine where it counts, on desktop Linux. It's definitely good for developers (and users) to have the choice of not using Qt, monopolies are never in the best interest of anyone except the monopoly holder.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Not everything has to be a thing on mobile/embedded though. Contrary to all the hype, we're not all going to ditch our desktop computers and do everything with 10" tablets in the future... GTK (both 2 and 3) work just fine where it counts, on desktop Linux. It's definitely good for developers (and users) to have the choice of not using Qt, monopolies are never in the best interest of anyone except the monopoly holder.
            Clinging to a technologically inferior toolkit has nothing to do with your monopoly garbage. GTK sucks these days and that's not Qt's fault ? only of the GTK devs. Improve GTK and application programmers will not migrate away from it. Either that or STFU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Those exploits are covered by: http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php

Here's the short version. If Digia (not Dignia) OR whoever is the current owner of the Qt Project (This clause gets moved around with the project itself) EVER stops releasing the LGPL version of Qt in a timely manner there is a legally binding contract between them that states the most recent version of the closed source Qt program is handed over to KDE, with copyright assigned to KDE, under the BSD license. Digia's (or whoever owns Qt at the time) entire business model of SELLING Qt would immediately be destroyed because anyone could take and do anything with the latest Qt.

The license contained loopholes. Those loopholes were spotted. Those loopholes were fixed with this agreement. End of story.
              Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
              Despite the CLA Qt can not be closed off (Diga could try, but KDE would sink Diga's business model)
              http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php

Ok, this is nice! Thanks for clearing up!
              Last edited by brosis; 27 April 2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Gtk looks better on KDE though (since Oxygen can be used.) Qt5 looks like ass :-/
                I guess your being sarcastic if not i can't understand your conclusion.
                GTK doesn't look good in anything except an GTK based DE, but personally i think it always looks bad but thats my taste.
                Qt looks good everywhere, but some improvements can always be done.
                I think Qt looks better in gnome then GTK does in KDE SC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  I guess your being sarcastic if not i can't understand your conclusion.
                  GTK doesn't look good in anything except an GTK based DE, but personally i think it always looks bad but thats my taste.
                  Qt looks good everywhere, but some improvements can always be done.
                  I think Qt looks better in gnome then GTK does in KDE SC.
                  RealNC is talking about how you can't use the Oxygen theme with Qt 5 right now. Which is due to the linking of Oxygen in KDE, and it will be solved in KDE Frameworks 5.

Comment

Clinging to a technologically inferior toolkit has nothing to do with your monopoly garbage. GTK sucks these days and that's not Qt's fault ? only of the GTK devs. Improve GTK and application programmers will not migrate away from it. Either that or STFU.
                    No, you STFU. People who treat their opinions as gospel should be gathered on some kind of island where they can have their own circle-jerk.

Gtk works just fine, I have plenty of great GTK apps on my computer and none of them have any issues because of being GTK apps. I don't see this "technological inferiority" in practice anywhere.

Comment

I don't care for broken packaging. Cinnamon itself is written using Clutter. Clutter, while these days developed within the GNOME ecosystem, is a toolkit entirely separate of GTK.
                      Cinnamon includes the file manager, now. They forked Nautilus into "Nemo", which I use under Mate (albeit without desktop management). That uses GTK3.
                      It's also the file manager I like best so far (I liked the Windows 98/XP file manager and PCManFM too)

So? You were talking about applications, not DEs alone. And by after reading through LXDE blog posts, it looks like LXDE will never be ported to GTK3. The LXDE maintainer (PCMan) wrote that it's easier to port a GTK2 application to Qt than to port it to GTK3 and the first component has already been ported to Qt.
                      The author also mentions explicitly it should not be flamewar material.
                      Boo!
                      Leave that little piece of slim and efficient code alone. That little file manager can be used under Fluxbox or really anything too, and is like the only thing people run on a raspberry or when running an X11 server on some fat cell phone. A Qt port is just one more option and the author specifically wrote GTK and Qt are coexisting.

Lastly, you need GTK2 anyway to run all the stuff (firefox, gparted, filezilla, small programs and tools, the gtk graphics programs etc.) so there's no biggie if LXDE stays in GTK2 for a while. This is the desktop you can realistically run on a computer with 128MB physical RAM, afterall.

We're not in a hurry for GTK2 to get dumped overnight from all distros so that a shitload of software becomes incompatible, do we? I for one don't give a shit. Let's wait a decade before dumping it.

Comment

Working...
                      X