Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenShot Switches From GTK+ To Qt

Phoronix: OpenShot Switches From GTK+ To Qt

There's a new update on the state of the OpenShot video editor application...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, PiTiVi seems to be quite similar, also when comparing the UI. I wonder how PiTiVi compares to OpenShot.

Comment

This news is not so major, compared to this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-mac-and-linux

Openshot has managed to gather $45,028 via Kickstarter.

Looks down at radeon and especially nouveau senior developers

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Hm, PiTiVi seems to be quite similar, also when comparing the UI. I wonder how PiTiVi compares to OpenShot.
      My personal experience several months ago was: Pitivi - usable but not stable, Openshot - usable and stable.

Comment

Clearly this software has gained traction. In over 12 years of using Linux daily and dealing with Solid Modeling, Animation, Compositing, GIMP, Inkscape, etc., I've never heard of it, until they switch Toolkits.

Truly great branding.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          This news is not so major, compared to this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-mac-and-linux

Openshot has managed to gather $45,028 via Kickstarter.

Looks down at radeon and especially nouveau senior developers

My personal experience several months ago was: Pitivi - usable but not stable, Openshot - usable and stable.
          Few points...

Their original goal was $20,000 and they made $45,028 through Kickstarter. He mentions that some chose to donate directly through PayPal or other mediums, so its actually MORE than $45,028 through this most recent fundraiser.

Radeon and Nouveau don't suffer mostly from lack of funding. They suffer mostly from lack of documentation, (yes even Radeon), lack of time and lack of knowledgable people. Marek I know has been offered enough beers on these forums alone to kill him from alcohol poisoning (I know, cause I was one of them haha). Not saying more funding couldn't hurt, just saying that it funding (aka incentives) dont seem to be their biggest issue.

Pitivi: usable, not stable, limited features.
          OpenShot: usable, stable, medium features.
          Kdenlive: Usable, not stable, overload of features.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Clearly this software has gained traction. In over 12 years of using Linux daily and dealing with Solid Modeling, Animation, Compositing, GIMP, Inkscape, etc., I've never heard of it, until they switch Toolkits.

Truly great branding.
            Yeah OpenShot doesn't get much publicity. On Gnome you tend to get a lot of "Use Pitivi!" On KDE you get a lot of "Use Kdenlive!" and if you're already familiar with modeling you get a lot of "Use Blender!" That being said, OpenShot tends to have a very loyal (albeit not very vocal) following.

Comment

I do like the direction that Openshot is heading in, with all of their recent developments (Qt, javascript, etc).

I think in the next year or so - Openshot should start to shape up...

Myself, i am using Lightworks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                PiTiVi uses GStreamer. OpenShot uses MLT (the same framework Kdenlive uses).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  PiTiVi uses GStreamer. OpenShot uses MLT (the same framework Kdenlive uses).
                  OpenShot does NOT use MLT (See the blog post linked in the article, the developer addresses it).

Pitivi uses GStreamer
                  Kdenlive uses MLT
                  Openshot uses a custom written library.

Comment

Nice- I'd love to see if they can get some kind of functional GUI working on Ubuntu for tablets. That would be a sweet application, although render times would likely suffer a lot on a mobile device. Either way, it looks like Qt is demonstrating a lot of value recently where GTK's goals seem to be very different. I wonder what effect this will have as we move onto mobile platforms with more intensity, and whether GTK will be ready for that environment as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X