Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe To Contribute To Blink Rendering Engine

Phoronix: Adobe To Contribute To Blink Rendering Engine

Earlier this month Google announced the Blink rendering engine as a fork of the WebKit project. After announcing their WebKit fork, Opera confirmed their plans of moving to the Blink engine too. Two weeks later, Adobe is now saying they will contribute to Blink...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice if they would start by providing an updated flash for firefox on linux...

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      Would be nice if Google and Mozilla would take flash out behind the woodshed and shoot in the head with a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot.
      Fixed that for you.

Comment

This announcement has nothing to do with Flash and in fact is part of their drive to build non-Flash tools that can compete with Flash Pro CS's dominance for interactive design. It's a good thing.

Comment

I hope their contribution is about graphics and not proprietary trash like EME.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            Fixed that for you.
            Thanks, declaring it eol for all platforms would be a nice solution

Comment

Would be nice if they would start by providing an updated flash for firefox on linux...
              you do know they discontinued flash for linux unless you're on chrome/chromium right?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                you do know they discontinued flash for linux unless you're on chrome/chromium right?
                That is exactly my point, they should provide code for Gecho to support the PPAPI or a Linux compatible NPAPI. Also it's only included with Chrome not Chromium.

Comment

That is exactly my point, they should provide code for Gecho to support the PPAPI or a Linux compatible NPAPI. Also it's only included with Chrome not Chromium.

it's not included with chromium but you can symlink the libflashplayer.so from chrome's directory to chromium and then you get updated flash without the built-into-chrome google tracking.

also mozilla has said THEY won't support ppapi on technical grounds so adobe providing the code is pointless.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

My understanding is that Mozilla doesn't want to support it because you can only get it via Chrome, so if Adobe released it as separate download or offered it as an include for other browsers that could maybe win Mozilla over. I'm sure providing a patch for Gecho and offering to maintain it would help to, after all Mozilla has just started that they don't want to develop it.

Comment

Working...
                    X