Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquorix 3.8 Kernel Has Some Performance Wins Over Linux

Phoronix: Liquorix 3.8 Kernel Has Some Performance Wins Over Linux

The Liquorix kernel is a modified version of the Linux kernel with out-of-tree patches and a kernel configuration that is highly-optimized for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads. It's been one year since last benchmarking the Liquorix kernel against a vanilla Linux kernel, but now we have some benchmarks of the Liquorix 3.8 kernel compared to the latest stable Linux kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, they've just changed I/O scheduler from deadline to CFQ? Ubuntu's using deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      So, they've just changed I/O scheduler from deadline to CFQ? Ubuntu's using deadline.
      That's BFQ, not CFQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        yep, BFQ (http://groups.google.com/group/bfq-iosched)... CONFIG_DEFAULT_BFQ=y

there's also BFS in the config but apparently it's not enabled

Comment

the difference between 3.8.0 and 3.8.6 is much bigger than i expected.

Comment

so what were the differences in the kernel-config between stock Ubuntu kernel and Liquorix kernel config ?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
              so what were the differences in the kernel-config between stock Ubuntu kernel and Liquorix kernel config ?
              configs here... http://liquorix.net/sources/3.8/

i never used liquorix, but if it shares code from zen-kernel (same author) then it also uses extra code/patches

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker
                liquor... ix.
                This is just crap compiled by a moron teenaged idiot underaged alcoholic. Completely not worthy of being reported on.

And impossible to take seriously, anything that has been... inappropriately renamed (since its not even a fork of Linux, it *IS* the linux kernel)... in tribute to alcohol -- WTF is wrong with him?
                Whats wrong with offering DEB-packaged Desktop-optimized kernel for Debian Testing/Sid?
                I have been using it recently due to bug in original Debian kernel, which was fixed in 3.8, but Debian is still on 3.2, and the ride is pure awesomeness.
                For example, it can hibernate properly, unlike Debian.

Liquorix rocks!

But Michael made misguiding title for purpose - Liquirix IS a Linux kernel, Debian-packaged, Zenwalk-inspired.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  But Michael made misguiding title for purpose - Liquirix IS a Linux kernel, Debian-packaged, Zenwalk-inspired.
                  The title was just easier/shorter writing over Liquorix 3.8 Kernel Has Some Performance Wins Over Vanilla/Mainline Linux Kernel.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    The title was just easier/shorter writing over Liquorix 3.8 Kernel Has Some Performance Wins Over Vanilla/Mainline Linux Kernel.
                    Or more like "optimized"? : ) My reply wasn?t meant as offensive at any degree anyway, this project is very worth mentioning!

Comment

Working...
                    X