X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by Licaon View Post
    So I should wait a couple of years before being able to use my "supported" soundcard, right? dammmn now I *have* to test ALSA again
    Most of the common soundcards just work (every single thing I have ever plugged to any of my computers for example). The bit more exotic ones like the one you have have varying level of support (because the vendors themselves don't necessarily publish drivers and even if they do it might take some time; otherwise implementing the drivers rely on the community which then again depends a lot on the hardware they have). However Xonar DX should be fully supported in ALSA. It's always possible that the driver reports false timing information and then PulseAudio doesn't work properly. Such issues should be reported so someone might actually fix them. In any case fixing bugs in ALSA driver beats implementing support for thousands of chips in OSSv4 (not to mention all the other features).

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Well wouldn't fixing the couple of issues in the ALSA drivers make more sense?
    So I should wait a couple of years before being able to use my "supported" soundcard, right? dammmn now I *have* to test ALSA again

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    So... 5% faster than 1% AS fast as firefox? So all the way up to 1.05% as fast as firefox.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    That wasn't my quote.
    Whoops! Sorry. Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Nuc!eoN
    replied
    Only good thing about the latter article is the comments where Paul Davis (dawhead, the lead developer of the Jack sound server and Ardour digital audio workstation) argues with Hannu Savolainen (the lead/only OSSv4 developer).
    Thanks for the info, just read through some of them, very interesting indeed. Especially the conversation between Hannu and Paul Davis.

Accroding to Linkedin Hannu Savolainen left 4Front Technologies in 2009. The latest article in their site is from 2008.
    Hm, dunno. What I know is that Hannu is still in charge of the repository.
    The latest official statements are maybe their annnoucments. The forum is still kind of active (support etc)...

That wasn't my quote

Source?
    I talked to hannu via e-mail about a month ago.
    Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 05 April 2013, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    If OSS wouldn't have been abandoned by the Linux kernel, the driver support would be on the same level. It's just a matter of contibutions and support and you should know that.
    One of the key reasons that ALSA has so good driver support is because it's extremely scalable. If it hadn't met the requirements for mobile use then Android (or anyother mobile distributions for that matter) wouldn't use it and would have written an alternative sound architecture instead (this was true for some hardware in the early days of Android to my knowledge). If it hadn't met the requirements of professional audio equipment then it wouldn't be used in electrical instruments, mixing consoles and so on either. If it hadn't met the needs of modern desktops... well the same story. OSS wouldn't magically be succesful nor would it necessarily have that good driver support even if it had remained in Linux kernel.

Can't be that shitty if those people actually bothered commenting the article and have a discussion...
    Well correcting misinformation before it spreads too far kinda makes sense. It definetly doesn't make the original article good.

Never heard of OSSv5 btw, interesting.. But they really have financial problems see http://web.archive.org/web/201210201...hannublog/?p=9
    Is there any more recent information on 4Front Technologies / OSSv4 than couple of articles from 2007 and 2009? Accroding to Linkedin Hannu Savolainen left 4Front Technologies in 2009. The latest article in their site is from 2008.

Originally posted by Licaon
    Ask yourself why one switched in the first place. Read post #13.

Hannu plans to move to GitHub. That should increase development I hope...
    Source?
    Last edited by Teho; 05 April 2013, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nuc!eoN
    replied
    Out of curiosity; why would you even want OSSv5? ALSA has proven itself to be scalable enough to work on pretty much any kind of environment imaginable, it has quite incredible driver support (over 4000 chips) and it's part of the mainline kernel that OSS will never be... and it's actually collaboratively developed.
    If OSS wouldn't have been abandoned by the Linux kernel, the driver support would be on the same level. It's just a matter of contibutions and support and you should know that.
    However of course it's Hannu's fault by making it closed source.

the git shows some action: http://opensound.git.sourceforge.net...ound;a=summary but I can't see those changes.

Anyway, the dreams ( http://is.gd/UaVN5t ) are ruined.
    Correct. Development has moved to git.
    Never heard of OSSv5 btw, interesting.. But they really have financial problems see http://web.archive.org/web/201210201...hannublog/?p=9

Are you serious? Both of those articles are outdated and the author is mostly clueless about the subject. Only good thing about the latter article is the comments where Paul Davis (dawhead, the lead developer of the Jack sound server and Ardour digital audio workstation) argues with Hannu Savolainen (the lead/only OSSv4 developer). There's also couple of comments from the profilic Linux kernel developer Theodore Tso.
    Can't be that shitty if those people actually bothered commenting the article and have a discussion...

and it's actually collaboratively developed.
    Hannu plans to move to GitHub. That should increase development I hope...
    Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 05 April 2013, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    Out of curiosity; why would you even want OSSv5?
    Ask yourself why one switched in the first place. Read post #13.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Out of curiosity; why would you even want OSSv5? ALSA has proven itself to be scalable enough to work on pretty much any kind of environment imaginable, it has quite incredible driver support (over 4000 chips) and it's part of the mainline kernel that OSS will never be... and it's actually collaboratively developed.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    I don't think it has (it's just terribly slow). OSSv4 is "semi-propietary" software; they only do seldom code drops. Here's the forum page for the latest release), people were asking for source code without an answer. It took them over two months to release it after the binaries were released.
    the git shows some action: http://opensound.git.sourceforge.net...ound;a=summary but I can't see those changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X