X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by BW~Merlin View Post
    I wonder if this is a move to get Firefox included as the default browser with Tizen?
    Tizen??? Whats that???

... yeah, I'm just poking fun.

Leave a comment:

• BW~Merlin
    replied
    I wonder if this is a move to get Firefox included as the default browser with Tizen?

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    and they usually fight for privacy and user control against the odds.
    They allow third party cookies, do not enable "do not track" by default and use Google as default search engine. On top of that, they frequently promote Facebook, Twitter or such. Seems legit.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
    Actually, Rust and Servo have been in development for about a year now. The source code is completely open, go download it. Most of the work on these two have been done by Mozilla employees.
    What Mozilla have announced today is that Samsung will help port Servo to ARM hardware only.
    Actually Rust has been in development since 2006 with Mozilla being fully involved since 2009. It was one of those experimental projects that have only gained press attention recently though.

Leave a comment:

• mayankleoboy1
    replied
    Originally posted by balouba View Post
    note that what more or less happened is that some samsung guys dropped the code and mozilla was like "oh hey cool thanks!" and also "lets talk about this!" because talking about this - servo, rust that is - is a good thing anyway - even thus samsung probably develop stuff on their side in the dark and suddenly drop code.

rust is a pretty damn nice language. its fast and safe. C++ kind of fast. And servo attempts to implement everything a modern browser should ideally be.

Also, Contrarily to comment 2.. Mozilla actually.. develop and take decisions fully in the open. Heck even the security reviews are public. The security meetings.. are public. It's not about the source code being open, but their whole process is open. You can participate to decisions if you want. Not by commenting here, not by posting a single bug (although if its really insightful, people will certainly take it into account), but by actively taking part of the project (this does take time) and make your voice heard.

I'm sure Mozilla isn't perfect (far from it) and some people there either, but its pretty damn nearer to my ideals than other companies, personally. At least they seems to really attempt to "do no evil". The corporation is governed by a foundation, everything's open and they usually fight for privacy and user control against the odds.

Actually, Rust and Servo have been in development for about a year now. The source code is completely open, go download it. Most of the work on these two have been done by Mozilla employees.
    What Mozilla have announced today is that Samsung will help port Servo to ARM hardware only.

Leave a comment:

• balouba
    replied
    note that what more or less happened is that some samsung guys dropped the code and mozilla was like "oh hey cool thanks!" and also "lets talk about this!" because talking about this - servo, rust that is - is a good thing anyway - even thus samsung probably develop stuff on their side in the dark and suddenly drop code.

rust is a pretty damn nice language. its fast and safe. C++ kind of fast. And servo attempts to implement everything a modern browser should ideally be.

Also, Contrarily to comment 2.. Mozilla actually.. develop and take decisions fully in the open. Heck even the security reviews are public. The security meetings.. are public. It's not about the source code being open, but their whole process is open. You can participate to decisions if you want. Not by commenting here, not by posting a single bug (although if its really insightful, people will certainly take it into account), but by actively taking part of the project (this does take time) and make your voice heard.

I'm sure Mozilla isn't perfect (far from it) and some people there either, but its pretty damn nearer to my ideals than other companies, personally. At least they seems to really attempt to "do no evil". The corporation is governed by a foundation, everything's open and they usually fight for privacy and user control against the odds.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    This announcement said a few things to me....
    I think you're probably reading too much into it though. This isn't about Firefox moving from Gecko to Servo - it's an experimental engine, designed to establish how things could be done better. It might eventually replace Gecko - but more likely, it'll result in ideas propagating back to be applied to the existing engine.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post

1) Mozilla doesnt have the attitude of "We wrote gecko we're gonna use gecko!" like MS does with Trident. They're open to exploring other options and ideas, just like Opera was.

2) They don't believe that a single engine for browsers is good-- otherwise they would've picked WebKit

3) They're looking to test and push boundaries, hence Rust and not some other language.

4) I love Mozilla even more than i used to I'm glad to see that they are still experimenting and trying new things. If nothing else, if Servo falls through, they can always go back to Gecko, the code doesnt disappear just because its not being used, and the web browser world got a bit of research and development for future endeavors.

I wish Mozilla all the best, and I'm looking forward to testing this in the future.
    I would agree with 1), but they would be stupid to drop gecko as it might be the most compatible html renderer out there (don't forget all those years of ie6, where they worked hard to develop compatibility for "optimized" sites...that should all still exist, and is something webkit hasn't had to deal with as much).
    For 2) I think they've actually said exactly that. If there is only one engine, there would be little point to the w3c. It would be the de facto standard.
    I've really felt of rebirth of moz luv lately. FFOS, asm.js, pancake (though ios ONLY! ), webmaker, and so much more. They are really committed to an open, first class web.

Leave a comment:

• Ibidem
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    In Rust we trust

Should? ve fixed slow libpango rendering issues, that make videoplayback and scroll speed on any *nix very slow, but no.

They work with Samsungs, who proven themself to be egoistic we-don?t-care-about-floss types.
    Probably want FirefoxOS to use that engine on Samsung hardware, but they will not do it - as Google Android is more adopted and Ubuntu phone is more full-linux and open.

Mozilla became proprietary-windows-1st-priority-loving developer-don?t-caring lying all-about-marketing egoists recently.
    It's a port to Android on ARM that they're announcing.
    And it's designed to use GLUT for rendering, if I understand the notes right.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied

1) Mozilla doesnt have the attitude of "We wrote gecko we're gonna use gecko!" like MS does with Trident. They're open to exploring other options and ideas, just like Opera was.

2) They don't believe that a single engine for browsers is good-- otherwise they would've picked WebKit

3) They're looking to test and push boundaries, hence Rust and not some other language.

4) I love Mozilla even more than i used to I'm glad to see that they are still experimenting and trying new things. If nothing else, if Servo falls through, they can always go back to Gecko, the code doesnt disappear just because its not being used, and the web browser world got a bit of research and development for future endeavors.

I wish Mozilla all the best, and I'm looking forward to testing this in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X