Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Improvements For NetworkManager

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Improvements For NetworkManager

Networking support within the KDE Plasma desktop environment will soon be improved thanks to some major work within its NetworkManager applet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have no problems with the current applet but it's not written in QML and therefore has to be rewritten anyway to work with libplasma2 in the future ? just as every other Plasma applet.
    Devoting an entire article to a single applet seems a bit overambitious by Michael but whatever. Hopefully he'll also devote an entire article once the clock widget has been rewritten.

Comment

Why is KDE so ugly? What world do kde designers live in?

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
        Why is KDE so ugly? What world do kde designers live in?
        Thats not stock KDE..thats a heavily modified, minimal KDE running with a crappy theme. It literally took my a second to realize what he had done to achieve that, and I use KDE every day.

Thats actually like..painfully ugly in the video (not the applet. The minimalism of the applet is fine. But his specific desktop is fugly >.>)
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I am glad to see that the applet no longer wastes ridiculous amounts of space. Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
            I am glad to see that the applet no longer wastes ridiculous amounts of space. Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.
            Kickoff is being rewritten in QML, along with all other applets. I'm praying for Nepomuk integration into the menu, like Lancelot and ROSA have.

Calendar...no idea, Dont use it lol.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Well, I never had any issues with that, as there are widescreen monitors everywhere. Having it more compact is nice, but it may be a bit too compact for its own good now...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Well, I never had any issues with that, as there are widescreen monitors everywhere. Having it more compact is nice, but it may be a bit too compact for its own good now...
                I think this is better. Yes, getting rid of important stuff is bad. But half the old widget was dedicated to two checkboxes and buttons for disconnecting interfaces. The former is now below the widget, and the latter is now integrated into the connections themselves. So in this particular case I don't think we are losing anything that important.

Comment

Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.
                  Yeah, because simply switching the K Menu to something else (eg. the Classic layout) is waaaaaayyyy to complicated?
                  And the Calendar is resizeable.

Comment

Well, this is good.
                    I really don't like the current NM plasmoid - it's huge, clunky and nonintuitive. The new one looks much cleaner and simpler, especially the sliding bit at the bottom.

In my experience with them so far, the QML plasmoid rewrites have either been horribly broken or really awesome; hopefully this one will be the latter

Comment

Working...
                    X