KDE Plasma Improvements For NetworkManager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    I am glad to see that the applet no longer wastes ridiculous amounts of space. Now if they would do something similar with the kickoff menu and the calendar I could almost use KDE again.
    I agree that the current network applet uses a lot of space, but it doesn't really matter since it's shown only when you click on it--it's not like a window with lots of wasted white space sitting there all the time. (Same applies to kickoff.) As for the clock, I couldn't see how it could make better use of space unless you wanted to abolish the right-side event listing. That is super convenient to many though, including myself, since it pulls in all my calendar events from KOrganizer--just hover over the day and it tells you what events take place then.

Comment

Totally confused right now. To me the Network Manager Applet was one of the better designed (if not the best designed) applets on KDE. I love it and even the mac loving folks like it....

It might be quite big, but on a screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 the applet does not take much space.

The new applet looks quite crappy, almost like a cheap windows clone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattos View Post
        Totally confused right now. To me the Network Manager Applet was one of the better designed (if not the best designed) applets on KDE. I love it and even the mac loving folks like it....

It might be quite big, but on a screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 the applet does not take much space.

The new applet looks quite crappy, almost like a cheap windows clone.
        Well the nice part about QML is a clean seperation between GUI and logic, so if you hate that applet its actually very trivial to write a new one haha
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I keep meaning to send in a question to Aaron Seigo about the poor state of KDE support for sideways orientated panels. All KDE panel entry icons should respect an upper size limit (centring in a rectangular space like Windows 7) and the system tray icons are still **way** too big (24px minimum) for lower res screens... That bit of code actually **needs** work!!

Who cares about the NM applet - currently it works fine and supports lots of neat extras (like the graphing stuff). The move to qml is pushed by the architecture change of Qt5 and a general move to a lighter weight/mobility friendly DM.

Will Klipper be covered next on Phoronix? Will it be the KOrganizer Reminder Deamon??!! I wait with baited breath!!
          This sort of coverage can be interesting on a personal (KDE-biased) videocast - like Aaron Seigo's - not so much on a site covering the **whole** Linux "Ecosystem"... Why cover it here???

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
            I keep meaning to send in a question to Aaron Seigo about the poor state of KDE support for sideways orientated panels. All KDE panel entry icons should respect an upper size limit (centring in a rectangular space like Windows 7) and the system tray icons are still **way** too big (24px minimum) for lower res screens... That bit of code actually **needs** work!!

Who cares about the NM applet - currently it works fine and supports lots of neat extras (like the graphing stuff). The move to qml is pushed by the architecture change of Qt5 and a general move to a lighter weight/mobility friendly DM.

Will Klipper be covered next on Phoronix? Will it be the KOrganizer Reminder Deamon??!! I wait with baited breath!!
            This sort of coverage can be interesting on a personal (KDE-biased) videocast - like Aaron Seigo's - not so much on a site covering the **whole** Linux "Ecosystem"... Why cover it here???
            Because the push to QML applets is all about the work going on for KDE Software Compilation 5. Which effects the whole linux ecosystem
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

The system tray icons are still **way** too big (24px minimum) for lower res screens... That bit of code actually **needs** work!!
              You do realize that the system tray icon size is controlled by an XDG spec that KDE devs have no control over, right? If they made the icons smaller, it might work okay for KDE apps and other apps that follow the new spec, but all the apps that follow the original spec (of which there are still many) would still keep the same icon size, which means you would end up with two different sized icons. There is nothing whatsoever that KDE devs can do about this.
              Last edited by TheBlackCat; 29 March 2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                You do realize that the system tray icon size is controlled by an XDG spec that KDE devs have no control over, right? If they made the icons smaller, it might work okay for KDE apps and other apps that follow the new spec, but all the apps that follow the original spec (of which there are still many) would still keep the same icon size, which means you would end up with two different sized icons. There is nothing whatsoever that KDE devs can do about this.
                You misunderstood my argument. I am not talking about the source icon size. The AWN & Cairo docks allow resizing of the system tray icons to allow as many rows of icons as the user desires. Neither work that great under KDE however. (Unless someone knows how to get the Cairo Dock to show window previews). A lot of KDE icon themes use SVG icons for the system tray icons - so allowing resizing in the tray would not necessarily cause a loss of detail.

Anyway I wasn't really trying to troll the forums with pet peeves! However on my 1366x768 laptop - a single left panel loses half it's real estate to the system tray...

Comment

You misunderstood my argument. I am not talking about the source icon size. The AWN & Cairo docks allow resizing of the system tray icons to allow as many rows of icons as the user desires. Neither work that great under KDE however. (Unless someone knows how to get the Cairo Dock to show window previews). A lot of KDE icon themes use SVG icons for the system tray icons - so allowing resizing in the tray would not necessarily cause a loss of detail.

Anyway I wasn't really trying to troll the forums with pet peeves! However on my 1366x768 laptop - a single left panel loses half it's real estate to the system tray...
                  Wait, so you mean that you want to scale them down to save horizontal (if we were to speak about a horizontal panel) space? Why not just have certain icons that you don't immediately need hidden under the "show hidden icons" arrow?

Also note that the "Task manager" plasmoid is also overgoing a QML rewrite, so it's possible that something like that is already feasible with the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Because the push to QML applets is all about the work going on for KDE Software Compilation 5. Which effects the whole linux ecosystem
                    I don't doubt that every KDE update has a major effect on the whole GNU/Linux ecosystem. In fact these days I only use the KDE Desktop on all my machines (well and Razor-Qt). Xfce is nice as well though. I used to use a Gnome Desktop - till the developers left the "reality zone"...

My argument was the same argument as other commenter's on this thread. Is Michael going to cover the look and feel of every new KDE QML applet re-write? Given the current size of the KDE Desktop that would give Michael 1-2 years of space fillers on his RSS feeds...

Comment

You misunderstood my argument. I am not talking about the source icon size. The AWN & Cairo docks allow resizing of the system tray icons to allow as many rows of icons as the user desires. Neither work that great under KDE however.
                      I am not sure what you mean. You can have as many rows as you want. I have two on my laptop and three on my desktop.

A lot of KDE icon themes use SVG icons for the system tray icons - so allowing resizing in the tray would not necessarily cause a loss of detail.
                      That only applies to the new-style system tray icons, but in order to maintain compatibility with the old-style ones they cannot change the icon size. It is part of the spec.

Comment

Working...
                      X