No announcement yet.

Enlightenment's Terminal Brings In Fancy Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this dev keeps up the pace and can bring similar quality to file manager (or even turn this into the file manager, combining file manager&terminal once and for all??) Where i see doom ahead on ubuntu's path, i only see shiny days for enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
      Limited time. Too many things to do. E's FM only got so much love in it because time has to be spent elsewhere. Some day it'll get more time invested. Sorry
      Please do not apologize, we really appreciate the work you and the others have put into this desktop environment. It's really nice. But why not go with PCManFM, or just use libfm for a a file manager? I find PCManFM to be quite stable.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post
        Limited time. Too many things to do. E's FM only got so much love in it because time has to be spent elsewhere. Some day it'll get more time invested. Sorry
        Yes i know you have limited people working on E. And i also know that it's geared towards a more geeky crowd who will more likely use terminals.

There are just some things that the FM is missing to be OK for the joe average user.

Thanks for all the work.

Originally posted by Rexilion
        Please do not apologize, we really appreciate the work you and the others have put into this desktop environment. It's really nice. But why not go with PCManFM, or just use libfm for a a file manager? I find PCManFM to be quite stable.
        Native FM a must have for any desktop. And there aren't many things missing to make EFM kick ass. If someone finds the time to implement the stuff/features on the bug tracker it will be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          because the fm doubles as the file selector (file selector is a full fm with dnd and all the rest, just in list mode), so we needed it in the code anyway. also there is no way to integrate desktop icons without being inside the wm code and having access to the canvas. also things that will use other toolkits will just look like junk in e as they also don't integrate. we look silly then using "pcmanfm" for example that doesn't even use the libraries we wrote for the wm and then we get frustrated when it doesn't work how we'd like and can't fix it without replacing it anyway as above.

Comment

For a fully-featured file manager

For a fully-featured file manager, tyls would need to support all these things. I think the interesting situation then becomes how to build applications that live in terminal output. Having crossover between interactivity & scriptability has some interesting unexplored area.

I've been hoping for years to write a "command-line" program where I can hand intelligent GUIs to users:
            I can specify a UI XML (thinking Qt) and read from the UI or wait on a change.
            Now, I'm stuck with a multi-threaded (for background work), Object-Oriented setup.

Comment

Originally posted by zyxw View Post
              Maybe it's just missing some basic interaction with mouse, like change directory, list and order to be (also) the file manager
              Well, then it'd be closer to Rodent File Manager (;

Comment

Working...
              X