GNOME 3.8 Release Candidate Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm k that will be a funny reaction.

I do like gnome-shell kind of, I was even a bit fanatic about it, I really feeled that it was and is a big step forward. Yes its not really done yet... I mean its usable and good thing, but there are much stuff coming that is not there yet ^^. But thats not a real big deal.

I have installed here fedora 19 but did went back to ubuntu for now because I have some problems, no big deal f19 isnt released so its a alpha or something like that. But on the other hand I had problems I should not have their, ssl-handshare error in the browser when trying to open google.de but thats to blame on fedora not on gnome. (browser = epiphany).

Then one said there would not be that much forks when gnome would have done better or something like that, its partialy true but not fully. The first Fork was unity, Unity did not fix any problem that gnome-shell had. It just was a worse alternative and it just got out because Ubuntu now tries to controll more pieces of their distribution.

Especially the earlier versions, were way buggier and slower than what gnome-shell state was. But even know except adware they have no big advantages over gnome-shell ok maybe hud is a nice idea but other than that nothing.

then they even did react better than canonical that dont react to critic at all it seems, to the critic ok maybe a bit late, but now they included this classic mode or how they call it now.

So far the possitive stuff, but I typing this now from awesome-wm. Its a tiling based wm. K maybe I am interested in that, because I also made me learn to use emacs and generaly tried to get environments and programms where I dont need the mouse anymore.

But still gnome-shell aims also to this goal a bit, but in reaching this goal, they are better than gnome2 and kde and... but not better than this tiling based wms... others are qtile, and i3...

And they do better in managing several apps one a big screen, because in gnome-shell you only have the option to use one app full screen or make 2 use the halth. of course with manueal mouse-resizing you can do better, but thats not good.

And another positive effekt of such tiling based wm is that it uses less cpu power and is snappier.

And its better with dualhead setup. So here gnome-shell could get better, I mean you could also use awesome-wm as replacement for mutter with gnome-shell I guess, so thats not that big problem, but I think they could go a step further in make it more keyboard-only friendly. And of course in some years, especialy with better grafics-driver (gpu-video-decoding for not stealing the hole cpu for the youtube stream is here the magic word) it will maybe not matter that much in some years.

But right now I prefer such tiling based window-manager, but I am a pro, its no full de, you have to hack around to get sleep mode and such stuff and use as example gnome-settings-manager or some alternative tools to get volume-keys working etc.

Multihead support should become better in gnome-shell, more keyboard shortcuts for stuff you now need the mouse woudl be great, and where gnome-devs cant help, they should make better grafics drivers for gpu-based encoding with free drivers.

One other thing, I was pretty disapointed what I saw in gnome-3.8 with the owncloud integration. there was no file-sync or even file-mount when I setup the account in the settings. So only calender and some stuff is updated, stuff that could be done easily before it just gets a bit easier to setup.
    that was the biggest thing I was excited in gnome 3.8.

Now I dont think its a big step from 3.6 anymore.

UPDATE:

The problem with video-encoding is even worse in gnome, because gstreamer is a bigger cpu eater, so with a zacate core if you watch with totem HD material your desktop gets really slow...

Ok you can use also in gnome something like smplayer or xbmc or something like that. But that helps not to make a round one-desktop experience ^^
    Last edited by blackiwid; 22 March 2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      [...]

Ok you can use also in gnome something like smplayer or xbmc or something like that. But that helps not to make a round one-desktop experience ^^
      did you try gnome-mplayer? The theme and look of gnome-mplayer fits much better into Gnome 3 than the two totem alternatives you mentioned IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
        did you try gnome-mplayer? The theme and look of gnome-mplayer fits much better into Gnome 3 than the two totem alternatives you mentioned IMHO.
        I use xbmc as evening media-player in full-screen, and other than that I primary need something that can play youtube, minitube is a alternative but I nowadays use a programm I wrote:

thats a youtube-search-tool and a wrapper around smplayer, I thing gnome-mplayer has problems with youtube-urls, at least it cant open the normal http urls that smplayer is able... I have tried around a bit with dbus even thought about making a grafical own youtube player... but for now I am k with that ^^

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I
          However, considering GNOME 3's hardware demands and the fact it isn't practical outside of casual PC/tablet usage,
          i find it much more usefull and practical than classic desktop design (app/start menu + taskbar). and no i am not talking about "casual" usage. i always hated taskbar and these menues. i actually consider them VERY inefficient.

Comment

So far the possitive stuff, but I typing this now from awesome-wm. Its a tiling based wm. K maybe I am interested in that, because I also made me learn to use emacs and generaly tried to get environments and programms where I dont need the mouse anymore.

But still gnome-shell aims also to this goal a bit, but in reaching this goal, they are better than gnome2 and kde and... but not better than this tiling based wms... others are qtile, and i3..
            Have you tried shellshape extension?.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Wow, that is a really hateful thing to say...
              I run on hate

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                Have you tried shellshape extension?.
                Yes really was excited about it, when I found it, but dont ask me why maybe I just was to stupid to understand the scortcuts ^^ but I really did not like it. Have to try it again in fedora when I reboot sometime my notebook... so I can say better what I did not like... but my impression was, nice idea but really bad implementation (at least for now)

I think about it again, and I think the problem was, when you look at the keys, there are som much complex conzepts, that makes no real sense to me. there is master areas than slave areas, then you have a main window. Then you have to tile a window its not in a tiling mode by default. Then as far as I remember if you make one windows smaller the other window dont get bigger automaticly, you have to use a key again to use that free space...

So it keybindings are at least very different from the ones used by the other tiling based wms I mentioned.

If I press windows + Enter or in ubunt gnome-shell strg+alt +t to open a new terminal... it has to be in a tiled mode and not in the foreground... I dont want to aktivete for that window tile mode with a extra key, and then think about hwats a master window and whats a slave window...
                Last edited by blackiwid; 23 March 2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  Heh. How can I argue?
                  Regarding Day's statement, I would point to this https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695691. So, I don't think they are quite full out insane yet.
                  Have you read this thread yet http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...h/007895.html? It's a bit long but worth reading, IMHO. AFAICT the only person who has actual UX training (Mairin Duffy) doesn't seem to be able to get her message across to the happy fun time gnome brigade that you need actual data to back up any changes made. More than that, you need to very carefully create common scenarios that you can test over and over again. When you have data you can then iterate. The gnome graphic designers are skipping the data gathering section and went a the autodidact route of picking and choosing amongst the literature without necessarily having the assumed basic knowledge a UX gets in their schooling. IOW, they don't SEEM to know how to make sound judgements. Instead they make ad hoc claims with vague associations thrown-in ("looks too confusing").

BTW, do you think moving to a hate-based energy economy would be a viable alternative to carbon fuels?

Comment

Yes really was excited about it, when I found it, but dont ask me why maybe I just was to stupid to understand the scortcuts ^^ but I really did not like it. Have to try it again in fedora when I reboot sometime my notebook... so I can say better what I did not like... but my impression was, nice idea but really bad implementation (at least for now)

I think about it again, and I think the problem was, when you look at the keys, there are som much complex conzepts, that makes no real sense to me. there is master areas than slave areas, then you have a main window. Then you have to tile a window its not in a tiling mode by default. Then as far as I remember if you make one windows smaller the other window dont get bigger automaticly, you have to use a key again to use that free space...

So it keybindings are at least very different from the ones used by the other tiling based wms I mentioned.

If I press windows + Enter or in ubunt gnome-shell strg+alt +t to open a new terminal... it has to be in a tiled mode and not in the foreground... I dont want to aktivete for that window tile mode with a extra key, and then think about hwats a master window and whats a slave window...
                    The shortcuts weren't bad, but tiling managers generally have very little to no window chrome. Shell shape would need to tell mutter to undecorate windows, and that would help, but I'd prefer a small 5px solid color border around each window, mainly for aesthetics but also for something to grab if you want to use the cursor to move a window.

Comment

well, you know your shit is getting fucked when the single person making sense in your project is a woman.

judging by the reaction I got in g+ it seems pretty much everyone agrees with me (until fag google mod deleted it).

Come tomorrow gnome 3.8 will make win8 look like a success story .. but they could give less of a fuck about making something everybody hates

dat dere red hat money keeps coming in yo

Comment

Working...
                      X