Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Unity Existed Before The GNOME Shell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    It's your turn. Show us any "fact" that says that unity "existed" in any way shape or form prior to any "fact" that gnome shell "existed" You are the one defending the claim so the proof is up to you. I am satisfied with AdamW evidence that he brought to the conversation as showing "factually" that gnome shell "existed" first.
    I just said ignoring previous posts isn't going to help. Maybe I have to provide a reason, why it could be useful to read previous posts:

To show that Unity really was earlier never was my point and in fact I never said that and called Shuttleworth's comment nonsense. My point was, that the measure of existence brought up here is nonsense and consequently this whole discussion as well (furthermore I suspect it's again just hate, which drives this, but that's pure speculation).

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Congratulations. I can't believe you actually got people to respond to your trolling for 6 pages.
    Pure art.

I was afraid to lose them when talking about the importance of fish (it couldn't be more obvious, could it?).
    Last edited by alexThunder; 12 March 2013, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      My point was, that the measure of existence brought up here is nonsense and consequently this whole discussion as well
      Normally, a open source project is considered to be in existence when it is announced publicly but since Unity was developed in private, that would give a big advantage to GNOME Shell, so looking at when the first lines of code were written has been the only objective criteria people have used all this while and you haven't proposed anything else. I don't think you have a point

Comment

sure

AWN avant window navigator, set it to the left of your fluxbox session.

Then turn on compositing...

There, you have a unity of your own.

Comment

Leave Mark alone! He's just wanting so real bad to be a new Steve Jobs!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

mark is a geek and he lacks a business plan, vision, strategy and even common sense.

ubuntu TV

? lol?

" hey we are going to give you ubuntu across all form factors "

great, now you can have a 0.6% share in tablets/phones too.

How the fuck hasn't this guy realized the key is vendor lock in ? does he really expect people to root their phones and tablets to remove android (one of the most popular systems backed by one of the world's biggest corps with a billion apps made for it already) and install ubuntu? ffs

ubuntu could have run android apps, they decided not to, it was a suicide move.

They should be betting their lifes in the cloud, putting every resource they have into cloud servers and try to go head to head with red hat instead of having this unhealthy obsession with consumer space...

it won't happen

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
              For the user, Unity existed before GNOME Shell.
              And it would be argued that unity really should have spent longer in development and not been released that early, considering how buggy it was in ubuntu 11.04.
              Last edited by bwat47; 12 March 2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arioch View Post
                everyone should watch the last Linux Action Show.

The CEO of System76 joins us to discuss the impact Ubuntu's recent announcements on Linux, the community, and products built around Ubuntu.Then we debate if ...

I agree 100% with these guys, seems there is still some common sense in the linux community after all.
                They're dicks, obviously.

If they weren't, how would they come up with this?

The CEO of System76 joins us to discuss the impact Ubuntu's recent announcements on Linux, the community, and products built around Ubuntu.Then we debate if ...

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  mark is a geek and he lacks a business plan, vision, strategy and even common sense.

ubuntu TV

? lol?

" hey we are going to give you ubuntu across all form factors "

great, now you can have a 0.6% share in tablets/phones too.

How the fuck hasn't this guy realized the key is vendor lock in ? does he really expect people to root their phones and tablets to remove android (one of the most popular systems backed by one of the world's biggest corps with a billion apps made for it already) and install ubuntu? ffs

ubuntu could have run android apps, they decided not to, it was a suicide move.

They should be betting their lifes in the cloud, putting every resource they have into cloud servers and try to go head to head with red hat instead of having this unhealthy obsession with consumer space...

it won't happen
                  I'm sure that only mean he don't have found any venoders willingly to bet on Ubuntu.
                  My guess is canocial plan to make the money form there appstore charges so I don't think only the cloud is enough.

Comment

These guys are crazy (in the most negative way):

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                      Normally, a open source project is considered to be in existence when it is announced publicly but since Unity was developed in private, that would give a big advantage to GNOME Shell, so looking at when the first lines of code were written has been the only objective criteria people have used all this while and you haven't proposed anything else.
                      Exactly, because it's nonsense.

That's what we tried to discuss on the previous pages.

Even you shift between two criteria randomly.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                      I don't think you have a point
                      You should stick to your trade.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      These guys are crazy (in the most negative way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfYGjcNmeDY&t=1h1m58s
                      Indeed. Whether a project actually ships or not surely is the least important thing in software development. They must have gone nuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X