Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Frameworks5 is about moving as much stuff to the CLA-land known as Qt. That is as stupid as working for free on Mir. say no to drugs and say no to CLA.
    That's a load of crap. KDE has always used Qt, Frameworks 5 isn't suddenly introducing it now. Also, Qt is a mature platform, you don't need to contribute back to it to make it usable. It's also protected by the KDE Free Qt Foundation which ensures that Qt will fall under a version of the BSD license should the open source variant go more than a year without a release. Mir on the other hand is effectively asking developers to do Canonicals work for free when it doesn't even work yet with the risk it'll be closed up later.

Which particular CLA are you referring to anyway? Note that not all CLAs are bad and in fact are often a pretty good idea - and not all require copyright reassignment. You wouldn't want some troll submitting some code to Qt and some time later sue everyone using it for patent infringement would you?

Comment

Why is so much effort wasted on this kind of crap? If you want to find something for the GPU to do get OpenCL working and make every app use it for a performance boost instead of wasting GPU cycles on stuff thats only amusing it you have the attention span of a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
        That's a load of crap. KDE has always used Qt, Frameworks 5 isn't suddenly introducing it now. Also, Qt is a mature platform, you don't need to contribute back to it to make it usable.
        Yeah it is self sufficient due to its open core business serving closed source platforms. Thank you for bringing this up. Qts business does not depend on beng a good open source citizen; Thus it is a matter of time before they fuck us over. Oh wait they already did.
        http://qt.digia.com/Product/Qt-Add-Ons/Charts/ Thats right. Thats closed source Qt shit for closed source customers giving a fuck about freedom.

It's also protected by the KDE Free Qt Foundation which ensures that Qt will fall under a version of the BSD license should the open source variant go more than a year without a release.
        thank you for admitting KDEs only weapon is to drop a clustbomb on any gratis version of Qt. Killing of any GPLism is MAD. So no matter what freedom is fucked.
        Last edited by funkSTAR; 11 March 2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Why is so much effort wasted on this kind of crap? If you want to find something for the GPU to do get OpenCL working and make every app use it for a performance boost instead of wasting GPU cycles on stuff thats only amusing it you have the attention span of a cat.
          I think that the idea is that QML and GL scene graph offer a great basis for an efficient and maintainable desktop. They let you do important stuff easily and efficiently, and this includes compositing, notifications, desktop elements such as taskbars, etc.

The funky effects (which were hacked together in short time) are just a proof of concept, showing how easy it is.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            Nope I just followed Plasma 2 developemnt for a while. AND I have commented BEFORE I seen article itself :P

Plasma 2 have technical argument behind it over Plasma 1. So developing Plasma 2 is not only for "better eye candy"....

Now. Either convince me that Plasma 2 in only about "more eye candy" or go read my post again.
            im responding to this in your post " Have no idea why you call transition from Plasma 1 an "eye candy".. " not your post since you are right

aka you miss read mine

Comment

Yeah it is self sufficient due to its open core business serving closed source platforms. Thank you for bringing this up. Qts business does not depend on beng a good open source citizen; Thus it is a matter of time before they fuck us over. Oh wait they already did.
              http://qt.digia.com/Product/Qt-Add-Ons/Charts/ Thats right. Thats closed source Qt shit for closed source customers giving a fuck about freedom.

thank you for admitting KDEs only weapon is to drop a clustbomb on any gratis version of Qt. Killing of any GPLism is MAD. So no matter what freedom is fucked.
              While we're thanking each other, thanks for completely ignoring my criticism of your claim that Frameworks 5 is a move towards CLA-land. Thanks again for ignoring a particular question I asked. Which CLA are you referring to, and what makes it so bad? Just the copyright reassignment clause in Canonicals original one? The most recent Canonical CLA doesn't require copyright reassignment either.

I find it strange how you seem to hate CLA, dislike BSD-style licensing and like GPL. A copyright reassignment CLA is completely unnecessary when using BSD-style licensing, however it's sometimes necessary when working with the GPL.

Comment

you have to be the weakest troll i've ever seen, stop it, this became just sad

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  you have to be the weakest troll i've ever seen, stop it, this became just sad
                  He's in any thread that has anything to do with qt. I think he feeds off trolling anyone who tries to debate him that an LGPL toolkit isn't the devil incarnate.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    That's eye candy, we had lots of graphics sugar (rotating cube, etc) for so long it's not even funny. They'd rather focus on usability which is the pinnacle of success for a GUI app.
                    Why don't phoronix trolls click on Larabells links? Kugler end the post with
                    Don't be afraid though, none of this tackiness will end up in the final UI, what you're looking at here is an early demo of our ongoing work.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                      While we're thanking each other, thanks for completely ignoring my criticism of your claim that Frameworks 5 is a move towards CLA-land. Thanks again for ignoring a particular question I asked. Which CLA are you referring to, and what makes it so bad?.
                      Im referring to the "Qt merging" aka. splitting libs and serve it to Digia under http://qt-project.org/legal/QtContri...eAgreement.pdf If you are not aware of this shady skunkwork killing off copyleft then it is your fault. Not mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X