Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Phoronix: Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Sebastian K?gler of KDE has talked about progress made on Plasma 2, the port of the Plasma Workspaces desktop to using KDE Frameworks 5 that in turn works atop Qt 5. The possibilities opened up for Plasma 2 due to KDE Frameworks 5 and using an OpenGL scene-graph are impressive and awesome...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Frameworks5 is about moving as much stuff to the CLA-land known as Qt. That is as stupid as working for free on Mir. say no to drugs and say no to CLA.

Comment

That's eye candy, we had lots of graphics sugar (rotating cube, etc) for so long it's not even funny. They'd rather focus on usability which is the pinnacle of success for a GUI app.
      Last edited by mark45; 11 March 2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        That's eye candy, we had lots of graphics sugar (rotating cube, etc) for so long it's not even funny. They'd rather focus on usability which is the pinnacle of success for a GUI app.
        Scene graph is EASIER to grasp for app devs. Easier to debug, easier to optimize. (And run faster)

Have no idea why you call transition from Plasma 1 an "eye candy"..

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          That's a tech demo. Nothing more, nothing less.
          For the most part the actual port of Workspaces will be indistinguishable from the current 4.x releases.

Comment

Making graphics effects is easy, using them properly is hard.
            Let's hope Plasma 2 won't be a blur/transparency/wobble/particle/bloom clusterfuck

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Scene graph is EASIER to grasp for app devs. Easier to debug, easier to optimize. (And run faster)

Have no idea why you call transition from Plasma 1 an "eye candy"..
              because ppl love to give opinions without having at least the decency of try to literate themselves on the subject they are talking about to make it look like they are smart when bashing it vocally among their equally iliterated dudes, ofc is not so smart to do when you do it among ppl smarter than yourself[also know as weak trolling].

so i assume this guy just saw a shiny thing wobbling and said "Awesome dude" and proceeded to show with his absolute lack of understanding to bash it, using a very ambiguos concept like "Usability"[in a toolkit OMFG] trying to set a fuse for a flame war.

for originallty he have a A+? .... NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                That's a tech demo. Nothing more, nothing less.
                For the most part the actual port of Workspaces will be indistinguishable from the current 4.x releases.
                Except for performance and precision.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  because ppl love to give opinions without having at least the decency of try to literate themselves on the subject they are talking about to make it look like they are smart when bashing it vocally among their equally illiterate dudes, ofc is not so smart to do when you do it among ppl smarter than yourself[also know as weak trolling].

so i assume this guy just saw a shiny thing wobbling and said "Awesome dude" and proceeded to show with his absolute lack of understanding to bash it, using a very ambiguous concept like "Usability"[in a toolkit OMFG] trying to set a fuse for a flame war.

for originally he have a A+? .... NO!
                  Nope I just followed Plasma 2 developemnt for a while. AND I have commented BEFORE I seen article itself :P

Plasma 2 have technical argument behind it over Plasma 1. So developing Plasma 2 is not only for "better eye candy"....

Now. Either convince me that Plasma 2 in only about "more eye candy" or go read my post again.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                    Frameworks5 is about moving as much stuff to the CLA-land known as Qt. That is as stupid as working for free on Mir. say no to drugs and say no to CLA.
                    Plasma is LGPL only.

Comment

Working...
                    X