Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teho that setup is beautiful o.O

What are some of the themes / icon sets you use? And howd you get the panel-menu? Also what dock is that?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Going by the collection of videos and icons on your system I'm going to have to ask, would you like to meet Chris Hansen?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        What it ends up doing, even though it's supposed to use no GPU power on a modern GPU it does however kill off all those marginal systems where the CPU and Ram are enough but the Intel or SiS or S3 GPU on the mobo is incapable of running the distro. To me this is a massive travesty for those people in poor regions even in first world countries since they cannot be moved over to Linux. Telling them to get new hardware is not an option nor is it an option for them to build old versions of X from source on Gentoo as their first ever distro.
        Press Ctrl-Alt-F12 to disable compositing.

There, you've solved the problems of all those poor people whose computing is compromised by compositing.

It's not that hard, really.

Comment

Going by the collection of videos and icons on your system I'm going to have to ask, would you like to meet Chris Hansen?
          You're obviously not in the USA, Kivada, or at least not in your 20s if you are... My Little Pony and some of the older "Kid" animes are making a come back with the teenagers / young 20s because most TV shows and most new animes are really terrible, so people are going back to the old ones like Yu-Gi-Oh, Inyuyasha, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, MLP, Sailor Moon and others just to reclaim their childhood and have a taste of GOOD animes.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Are you kidding? Please tell me you are kidding. You seriously have no idea how a more maintainable code-base can benefit users?
            Seeing as "Maintainable" usually means "This user experience isn't broken enough, we need to start over from scratch". I see no reason why this will change anything. In a few years it'll be happening again, that or the walled gardens being created by Google, Apple and Microsoft will make Linux an impossibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              What are some of the themes / icon sets you use? And howd you get the panel-menu? Also what dock is that?
              All of the screenshot use either Helium (white) or Caledonia (black) plasma theme (various versions). Icons are either from KFaenza (blue) or kAwOken (white/black). Color schemes used are either custom, Oxygen Cold, Caledonia 6, produkt (black) or Obsidian Coast (black). All of them use Oxygen Transparent widget theme and decorations. The global menu bar is a plasmoid that can be found here (it's available in AUR too). The dock is simply a Plasma panel with Icon Tasks plasmoid.

@Ericg: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is not an anime though and it's quite new (2010->).

Comment

You missed the fact that composited desktops are a waste of system resources
                No,that's a lie.

and that yes, all programs that can benefit in any way from getting an assist from running on the GPU should be doing so.
                And that's exactly what compositing is: Making the window manager run on the GPU instead of wasting the CPU for window management!

Comment

. On the technical side, I've said it and I'll keep on saying it, there is no reason the GPU should be sitting idle when it's not being used for 3D. It should be running as an OpenCL co-processor at all times and not just for Folding@Home.
                  Doing what in openCL? To take advantage of openCL you need a task that warrants the extra overhead, power consumption, and in dire need of that type of parallelism. At least with Folding@Home those extra resources are being utilized towards something all of mankind benefit from. If you want to talk useless wasteful GPU use look towards the like of bitcoin mining.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    What year is your system? There isn't a GPU out on the market by 99.9999% of the market leaders that isn't OpenGL compliant.
                    There are still many intel 945 systems out there, which do not support OpenGL 2.0, which is required by QtQuick2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      You're obviously not in the USA, Kivada, or at least not in your 20s if you are... My Little Pony and some of the older "Kid" animes are making a come back with the teenagers / young 20s because most TV shows and most new animes are really terrible, so people are going back to the old ones like Yu-Gi-Oh, Inyuyasha, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, MLP, Sailor Moon and others just to reclaim their childhood and have a taste of GOOD animes.
                      No, I'm 27 and from the US. But everything you just listed off I wouldn't consider good, they are mostly attempts at trying to clone the success of Pokemon to sell games and toys. Still, allot of what you have is rather creepy for a grown man to be watching...

I grew up on Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Ronin Warriors, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Basilisk, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z and Gundam: Wing, 08th MS Team, Char's Counter Attack, Stardust Memory. Started with DB at 7-8 then Akira at 10 then Ronin.

If you note the pattern I prefer stories that progress properly and are written to have a set known ending, instead of being dragged out for several seasons or loaded down with tons of filler EPs, I also hate series where the main char is always second guessing himself for no reason, I'm looking at you Bleach. Also hate annoying chars so stuff like Naruto or Soul Eater are also out.

I never cared for the kid's shows nor the harem style ones like Tenchi(one guy and allot of girls that are basically all in love with him but nothing happens ever unless they have to save the show's ratings) or the girl's stuff like Sailor Moon.

So, do I have to feel sorry for all the kids younger then me that got stuck watching shows for meant as pure marketing for kids or introductions to boys for pre-teen girls? You will never know the fun of finding out your school is getting an ISDN line and that you can use the Win95 Pentium 1 MMX machines to load super low res MPEG 1 fan sub videos to the school computers over night and show up to school half an hour early with your buds to crowd around the 13" 800x600 screen to watch them uncut and unfiltered.

Comment

Working...
                      X