Linux Audio Editing Is Better With Ardour 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by porkbutt View Post

So there you have it, only Led Zeppelin tribute bands and snooty Beethoven wannabes and other outdated traditional genres are real musicians according to Ardour.
    Why should anyone care about the abomination called music that exists today. Real music is acoustic and usually lack nerv-wracking singers.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
      Why should anyone care about the abomination called music that exists today. Real music is acoustic and usually lack nerv-wracking singers.
      Yes, because there is only pop music. Ok, that might apply to the US, but here in Europe we have countless very healthy electronic music scenes that don't need vocalists.

Comment

No, Reaper on Linux will be a fail. They've realized that WINE sucks, so they're hoping some generous developer will come fix their "native" Linux port, which in fact just wraps Windows system calls as Linux system calls. They don't even care enough to do the works themselves, I guarantee you that it will never amount to anything.
        I have my doubts about the Reaper linux port, as well... One thing that i will say though, is that winelib apps can be very good, there are several companies/products that are based on them in the proaudio industry. but they aren't the simplest to write, and 'vanilla' wine can't support them anyway.

So there you have it, only Led Zeppelin tribute bands and snooty Beethoven wannabes and other outdated traditional genres are real musicians according to Ardour.
        Well, it depends on one's definition of 'musician';

1. A person who is talented or skilled in music.
        2. A person who plays a musical instrument, esp. professionally.

I generally do not consider people who do not play instruments (or have vocal talent) to be musicians, since they aren't. They haven't studied music, do not understand music theory and cannot pick up and instrument and play it. (or use their voice). Even a good composer, has years of piano / music theory under his or her belt...

if you are using XYZ app to write music, cannot play an instrument, etc than you are an electronic musician/producer. Which is valid in it's own right ~ but that does not make you a musician. it is entirely a different skill set and doesn't require the same discipline.

It is true, that Ardour's focus has been on modelling itself around traditional recording methods ~ but Ardour 3.0 is moving past that and as time passes, MIDI sequencing is going to play a critical role (which is pretty obvious), so if i were you, i would probably just relax. be patient and/or contribute rather than complaining, since complaining is rather useless anyway.

Or if Ardour isn't for you, then use Renoise or wait for Bitwig Studio to be released for linux (which should happen this summer).

Comment

Wow, what a big bucket of fail Ardour and it's supporters are.

I would love to hear the music of you people who get to decide the definition of musican... I'm guess Akka likes to relive the glory days of Aerosmith pretending to be Steven Tyler in his Aerosmith tribute band, and according to Google Translate, Ninez is the portuguese word for "I play the trumpet in a Salsa band, that sounds remarkably similar to the Salsa band my grandfather played in". And yet, there are countless musicians who are more famous and respected than any user of Ardour, yet Ardour users somehow reason that their music isn't really music, and that nobody should need more than Ardour has. News flash, just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's not music. It just means you're getting old.

This is exactly why Ardour is completely irrelevant in the global music production scene, and so are it's users for that matter. Cubase spits in its customers faces every day and charges $500 for the privilege, and yet it still has millions more users than Ardour ever will because they deliver the experience and features users want, even though Ardour is lucky to get a $1 donation from it's users.

Comment

I would love to hear the music of you people who get to decide the definition of musican... I'm guess Akka likes to relive the glory days of Aerosmith pretending to be Steven Tyler in his Aerosmith tribute band, and according to Google Translate, Ninez is the portuguese word for "I play the trumpet in a Salsa band, that sounds remarkably similar to the Salsa band my grandfather played in". And yet, there are countless musicians who are more famous and respected than any user of Ardour, yet Ardour users somehow reason that their music isn't really music, and that nobody should need more than Ardour has. News flash, just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's not music. It just means you're getting old.
            I wrote the dictionary terms for musician and then wrote my personal opinion, as to where where i see 'the line'. If you don't actually have any musical skill, nor any musical training - then yeah, you're not a musician.

You may very well write awesome electronic music - but then you are a producer ~ which is 100% fine, nothing wrong with that at all. ~ I NEVER said that XYZ music wasn't music, Nor at any point did i anything hint at 'not liking something' on that basis either.... Quite frankly, my tastes in music are quite broad and includes lots of sampled / electronic music... so your interpretation of what i said VS. what i actually said is quite stupid, to say the least :\

Many kids who sit in front of their laptops but don't know how to play any real instrument / have no understanding of music theory / nor the raw talent to play an instrument also would likely not be able to get into a music school (@ university/college level), since that requires musicial knowledge and training ~ you know -> Something that is quite common for 'musicians' to do.

The problem here is you are offended by the dictionary term, and how the word 'musician' are broadly understood, rather than just accepting it and realizing that a producer/engineer (kid writing techno, hiphop, whatever) doesn't necessarily meet the definition of what a musician is understood to be... Being a producer is just as valid / nothing wrong with it, but producing beats on a laptop is not the same as mastering an instrument - and musicians are people who work towards / mastering instruments...

you don't see me bitching and complaining that the label 'producer' should be redifined to include people who don't produce/engineer music, do you? lol.

you're out to lunch, kid.

EDIT: i also don't happen to be a die-hard Ardour user - it's just one project that i watch. I am more interested in Bitwig, persoanlly, since it tends to be geared towards live-use to a much larger degree.
            Last edited by ninez; 15 March 2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Wow, what a big bucket of fail Ardour and it's supporters are.

I would love to hear the music of you people who get to decide the definition of musican... I'm guess Akka likes to relive the glory days of Aerosmith pretending to be Steven Tyler in his Aerosmith tribute band,
              I count Aerosmith in the category modern abomination of music (not all music from the last hundred years is "modern abomination" but Aerosmith certainly is...) I do play guitar but not a electrical. My guitar is hollow and has sinew strings (or nylon sometimes unfortunately)
              Last edited by Akka; 15 March 2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                but obviously, if you can't adjust an apps settings to work properly in under three weeks (more like an hour tops!), then obviously, you should be using Windows ~ so i agree.
                Gave it another try today after a long time. Still broken :-/ Until I can get past this:

I can't do anything with Wine and wineasio.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Gave it another try today after a long time. Still broken :-/ Until I can get past this:

I can't do anything with Wine and wineasio.
                  Well, looking at that - i think i have come to the same conclusion as JH did, it looks like your jack setup (or something related) is somewhat broken. (?) for one, there is no reason to be limited to glibc 2.14 or even 2.16 ~ since i have built/used wineASIO with all of them, including 2.17 (which i currently have installed). so i doubt it plays any part. Maybe your lib32 stuff with jackd is buggered..

- can you use any 32bit apps with jackd? (native apps, since you mention your system being multilib?)

- is wine working properly, aside from wineASIO? (have you tried installing FSThost and launching a .dll VST? , if so, what happened?)

I have a feeling your problem lies somewhere in jack and/or 32bit support... Something is definitely broken on your end / bad configuration....anyway, if you can run a VST in FSThost, then maybe it's a bug in wineASIO. but if it (fsthost) fails too - then there is something wrong with your setup in 32bit support (if 'native' 32bit works, then it's possible that it's 32bit/Wine related. if native 32bit app fails with jack, then your system is most likely not setup properly).

Comment

A UI refresh would be nice, Ardour just feels clunky when I use it compared to other DAWs I've used in the past.

Comment

whatever your views are, they are good. I have used both together and was surprised by its quality http://himanshunegi.in/consideration...sion-software/

Comment

Working...
                      X