KDE Can Now Start A Heck Of A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    I can't confirm that. On Archlinux on a SSD I get like ~2 seconds system startup time and about 5-10 seconds kde start time.

Perhaps it's because my akonadi database has 150 megabyte of junk and I have not found out where it stores the backup copy of that database so I can delete it properly.
    Yeah, you have something wrong. On my SSD (Samsung 840 Pro), KDE takes ~1-2 seconds max to startup from the KDM login screen. I am also on Arch using KDE 4.9.1.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
      Yeah, you have something wrong. On my SSD (Samsung 840 Pro), KDE takes ~1-2 seconds max to startup from the KDM login screen. I am also on Arch using KDE 4.9.1.
      Neither of you noted whether you are using sessionk or not...

Comment

Despite SSD instead of Harddrive

I have a Samsung 256 GByte SSD and under Windows I see many times the laptop is simply doing nothing, this happens under Linux too. I still wonder what the laptop is doing in these cases. The SSD can transfer upto 500MByte/s. Are there artificial slow downs? Is a program halting the computer for a while? I understand many little files have to be loaded during bootup. But the SSD light is not active so the SSD is simply waiting for the laptop. A faster CPU does not matter I think.

At average it takes 13 seconds to boot up fully to desktop from cold boot with automatic login. (After using Samsung magician and little overprovisioning...) But after this when the desktop shows up the observed behaviour is seen.
        Last edited by Geert Jalink; 10 March 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Neither of you noted whether you are using sessionk or not...
          I am not, just vanilla KDE 4.9.1.

Comment

I am not, just vanilla KDE 4.9.1.
            If the standard startkde involves a sleep(4) down the road, then how can you possibly boot in 2 seconds?

Comment

You should update, 4.10.1 is in extra...

When I was talking about 5-10 seconds I had not tested sessionk yet. It has also gotten better with every kde release and I think I'm at 3-6 seconds now with 4.10, but it still is a noticeable time I have to wait compared to any other desktop environment.

Comment

Working...
              X