No announcement yet.

Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is all great pr for opensuse which is due to land in just a few days time.

Comment

Blowing smoke

It's no crisis, Unity could very well be implemented without Compiz. The default Xorg compositor works fine.

But it is a crisis that Compiz ruins my Virtualbox guests when guest 3D is enabled. So I end up having to disable 3D support inside VirtualBox or use XFCE4.

I doubt 1% of the Linux population would care about nifty ways to move their windows around.

Why do I have to use compiz to implement basic functionality of Gnome Fallback? Generally, that's what I use to get Alt-Tab.

But I can't even get a stable desktop with anything gnome these days.

KDE isn't quite there either.. I can't find a theme what don't make me depressed after 30 mins. Grey on Grey shades suck.

I feel like I need cats' eye's to use it. Canonical wins! Before them Linux was a pain in the ass. And you all know that so admit it.

But hell lets all drop to a console and f/g disk our partitions. Why don't we hand-jam a EFI boot as well..

ruff

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
        this is all great pr for opensuse which is due to land in just a few days time.
        Yea, I figured pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          Are you serious? Well, the one and only Canonical's real achievement to date is maintaining a popular Linux distro for dummies. Since the distro is heavily based on Debian anyway, it's not a big deal.

But when you listen to them, it sounds like they practically did more for the Linux community than the kernel developers themselves. And when you tell them "hey, you guys put spyware in your DE, do you really think it's cool?" they answer with "lol, dude, we have root, be thankful we don't fuck you with rm -rf / or something". Wow, nice attitude. And whey they proudly announce their display server vaporware, the very first thing they do is bashing another display server that actually works and is already stable.
          Amazing how shortsighted some people are...

Perhaps they don't contribute to community as much as others, but they bring something a lot more important then contributions, they bring USERS.
          Every single non-Ubuntu based Linux distro is made by devs for devs (or sysadmins etc). Ubuntu is far from perfect but with it's user centric aproach it brings a lot of new penguins to our little community. And don't tell me that non-Ubuntu distros are easy to use for exWindows, average computer users which have no idea what things like partitions or terminal are. They take a lot of stuff from communitym but who doesn't? Google, M$, Apple... every takes something from Linux.

I hope that Compiz will die and MIR succeed, because I'm tired of all those fuckin problems with Compiz and X in last few years.

Btw, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, it doesn't even try to be Linux (yes I know it's based on Linux kernel and Debian packages).

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
            I hope that Compiz will die and MIR succeed, because I'm tired of all those fuckin problems with Compiz and X in last few years.
            Compiz seemed fine in Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 (just my experience). It seems that once it got Canonicalized (read: Unity plugin) things went downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Compiz seemed fine in Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 (just my experience). It seems that once it got Canonicalized (read: Unity plugin) things went downhill.
              I think most people found that 0.9 was (is?) just bad. Of course it had to be, because Sam re-wrote the whole damn thing, alone, so what could possibly go wrong? That was before Canonical though.

You can still use 0.8 from debian unstable. It's still working nicely, and very stable, but that's going to change as they'll phase it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Compiz was dead anyway. KWin is where it's at.
                I agree, KWin and KDE are the best for me. After installing good looking Icon packages, the Oxygen theme, Dark translucent Windows, it looks way more better than Windows.

But this programmer can't he start helping on KWin? He should be honoured and asked to help KWin developement.

Comment

Working...
                X