Canonical Loses Work From Top Compiz Contributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news.

It's fine if they want to not play with the opensource community, they just have to release the GPL changes when it's required and tell the world about it, like Apple.
    If only debian had a ppa system and do intermediate release for desktop user : less testing, newer software is not really a problem for the average desktop user IMHO...

Comment

Canonical: The Microsoft of Linuxes

Canonical is quickly proving itself to be the "Microsoft" of the Linux world.

Every time I hear(read) a new story involving Ubuntu and where Canonical is taking it, I keep hearing these two words over and over again:

Vendor Lock.

Vendor Lock.

Vendor Lock.

Comment

David Reveman - Last seen activity: Eating a cheese sandwich.
        Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Looks like Google swallowed him up.

Comment

compiz was dead anyway....about time to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            Canonical is quickly proving itself to be the "Microsoft" of the Linux world.

Every time I hear(read) a new story involving Ubuntu and where Canonical is taking it, I keep hearing these two words over and over again:

Vendor Lock.

Vendor Lock.

Vendor Lock.
            Naw they're trying to be Android but don't have the Developers or the backing that Google has/had so we have to sit here and watch them try to transform in slow motion.... So painful.

Comment

I don't know what to say. Personally, I would favor *for now* keeping compiz, as it is functional while Wayland/Mir are essentially vaporware. (I know Wayland exists, but it's like "Oh, here it is showing one window" and so on.) 13.04 is a non-LTS (development) version of Ubuntu, but it makes sense to have the Mir for people who are working on it and Compiz for everyone else, at least until Mir is in some reasonably functional state. It seems quite premature to declare Compiz dead.

Long term? I feel bad for someone working so long on what may become a dead project, but it is what it is. Sometimes a project is simply supplanted, sometimes people keep assuming a project will be supplanted and it just keeps not happening (I have heard about planned ground-up replacements for X since I started using Linux in 1994), and sometimes a project is replaced with something somewhat worse but more popular -- unfortunate but true every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                GPL doesn't have a clause that would require us to like Canonical or wish them well. It's not about licensing, it's about their treatment of the community and about them being jerks for the sake of being jerks.
                please clarify it for me: where have the been jerks at?

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  please clarify it for me: where have the been jerks at?
                  Are you serious? Well, the one and only Canonical's real achievement to date is maintaining a popular Linux distro for dummies. Since the distro is heavily based on Debian anyway, it's not a big deal.

But when you listen to them, it sounds like they practically did more for the Linux community than the kernel developers themselves. And when you tell them "hey, you guys put spyware in your DE, do you really think it's cool?" they answer with "lol, dude, we have root, be thankful we don't fuck you with rm -rf / or something". Wow, nice attitude. And whey they proudly announce their display server vaporware, the very first thing they do is bashing another display server that actually works and is already stable.
                  Last edited by prodigy_; 08 March 2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    Are you serious? Well, the one and only Canonical's real achievement to date is maintaining a popular Linux distro for dummies. Since the distro is heavily based on Debian anyway, it's not a big deal.

But when you listen to them, it sounds like they practically did more for the Linux community than the kernel developers themselves. And when you tell them "hey, you guys put spyware in your DE, do you really think it's cool?" they answer with "lol, dude, we have root, be thankful we don't fuck you with rm -rf / or something". Wow, nice attitude. And whey they proudly announce their display server vaporware, the very first thing they do is bashing another display server that actually works and is already stable.
                    Don't forget that they also stole funds from GNOME developers http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/02...ney-from-gnome

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                      Wow, greatest news all week!

So here we are in 2013, finally the year of gaming on the linux desktop, and Wow, great, we have NOBODY working on the FRIGGIN compositor, just one of the most important pieces to getting a good experience and good performance, and the one on the distro actually RECOMMENDED by valve!?! Wow, thanks a lot Canonical for handling this the right way!

OT: Does anyone know whatever happened to David Reverman, the original compiz and Xgl developer? I haven't seen anything about him for years, did he just fall off the face of the earth?
                      Nobody from community. And only for Ubuntu releases.

Canonical employees still maintain Compiz, still test it, still provide bug fixes (Unity till 14' at least will use Compiz, so they will care for it! Also with regard to performance.)

Comment

Working...
                      X