No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Is Back To Using GNOME 3 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not about being smart or well balanced. This is just d... measuring. Now it is confirmed that mr LT is on gnome so that will be told like a million times. Just like it was during the short periods of mr LTs use of XFCE or KDE. Back then it was seen as a sign gnome was dead. Just like some cherrypicked blog posts. That was all total shit. Now the tides have turned and the anti-gnome boon squad get the treatment. Lol.

Draw your own conclusions.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 04 March 2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
      I didn't know yet that KDE has also a extensions system similar to those found in Gnome 3. And it really has existed for several years Interesting.
      That's because they are not called "extensions". They are called "plasmoids".

Plasma is a framework for writing user interfaces. You can do anything in it. Welcome to 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        That's because they are not called "extensions". They are called "plasmoids".

Plasma is a framework for writing user interfaces. You can do anything in it. Welcome to 2008.

So which plasmoid can I use to enable tiling window management support KDE's default WM like I can do on Gnome-shell?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
          So which plasmoid can I use to enable tiling window management support KDE's default WM like I can do on Gnome-shell?
          Tiling was removed from KWin very recently, so nobody has written a script for that yet. It could be written, though, as KWin is fully scriptable via JavaScript.

You could run a slightly older version of KDE (4.9 should have it) in the meantime, if tiling is important to you.

So one point for you there, I guess.

Comment

Tiling was removed from KWin very recently, so nobody has written a script for that yet.
            KDE dosent listen to the users. Feature removal equals death.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              KDE dosent listen to the users. Feature removal equals death.
              That is really not the line of reasoning that is going to be flattering to the GNOME camp

Anyway, the reason it was removed was that almost nobody used it -- tiling people use tiling window managers as a rule.

Comment

Tiling was rather basic, ok, but just slapped on top, dragging a window out of tiling by mistake was getting on my nerves and the modes were funky... but yeah it made me curious to try real tiling managers and I ended up with i3 ( www.i3wm.org )

Comment

That is really not the line of reasoning that is going to be flattering to the GNOME camp

Anyway, the reason it was removed was that almost nobody used it -- tiling people use tiling window managers as a rule.
                  Hey lets have some EQUALITY. Any feature removal, justifiable or not, MUST end with fire and pitchforks. KDE hates the users and wont listen. Burn em.

Comment

Oh yeah and Linus HATED plasmoids. So they are shit and gnomes extensions are a million times better.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                      Oh yeah and Linus HATED plasmoids. So they are shit and gnomes extensions are a million times better.
                      They are the same fucking thing, dude.

The only difference is that plasmoids can be programmed in C++, JavaScript, Python or Ruby, while GNOME extensions can only be programmed in JavaScript. Probably C# too, that's always a hit with the community.

Comment

Working...
                      X