Linus Torvalds Is Back To Using GNOME 3 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Have fun with your extensions they'll no longer work 2-3 iterations from now. Pretty cool especially when extension developers no longer support the extension you need and don't port it to the new gnome shell version.
    Yeah some extensions have reached EOL. So what? Some are obsolete other are simply not that great and ended in the realm of oblivion. Thats fine and a natural dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
      I was using failsafe-gnome until they announced its demise. I switched to Xfce but found that Thunar is the weak point. No integrated file search (just a hack to run Catfish in a target directory) and no tabbed browsing.
      just use Xfce with nautilus 3.4.x (as long as that nautilus branch still works)

after that try nemo (from the cinnamon project)

that's at least what I do

Comment

It makes yout think: Maybe Mitt Romney should have won the last US election becuase now I understand that a flip-flopper can lead a community to greatness.

Comment

I still don't see what makes it better than GNOME2 other than having a higher version number.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Every desktop that has to rely on tweak tools to give people basic functionally seems to be fundamentally flawed.
            Have fun with your extensions they'll no longer work 2-3 iterations from now. Pretty cool especially when extension developers no longer support the extension you need and don't port it to the new gnome shell version.
            ah, you mean like the windows desktop which needs third party tweak tool to do basic stuff for theming?

well, what ever you mean by "basic stuff". i bet you find enough people saying desktop XY is flawed, no matter which one substitutes XY.

p.s. how i love thus one sentence killer argument for something being totally broken, so broken that no one can actually use it. typical forum bullshit posts, found thousands and thousands every day...

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I still don't see what makes it better than GNOME2 other than having a higher version number.
              you don't need to. better depends on the point of view. what it makes for me 10000 times better than any other DE ever published doesn't need to make it better for you.

a few things that makes it better for me:
              - finally no taksbar!
              - not the typical start menu found in windows, kde, gnome 2 and most other de
              - zoom out/in overview over all dekstops

and there are a lot of more things

Comment

to say more:

- normaly no desktop icons anmore

I think that was possible to set to in gnome 2, too. But you dont come automaticly to the point thinking that could be good thing, or at least a worth thing to google after... but it is good.
                Because many just then use their desktop as place where there put everything, maybe even sort them by sections and whitespace between them, then you put that pc one time on a other monitor or somethint and all sorting aranging goes to hell. etc. there are more reasons why thats a bad idea, or on the other side, why a desktop that nearly needs such "features" because else you would not find your files.

- dynamic workplaces

love this because you dont have to think of how many do you need, just create them automaticly if you open a new application

- better task-switcher

its great to have a seperate key for switching different windows of the same programm, so if you have 20 terminals open (or let it be 5 and 3 other windows) you can easily switch between the different apps, without pressing 25 times on tab

- better keyboard support

if you are writing surving etc, you nearly always need the keyboard, of course there are ways to nearly always use your mouse instead, as example instead of typing each time phoronix.com (and somewhere between tab for complition) you can go to your bookmarks and klick on them. But you never can only use the mouse, because for writing stuff like this post, you need a keyboard or it would at least be very hard to type it with a soft-keyboard with a mouse ^^ and gnome-shell doesnt make using it with mouse harder, but makes it way better to use than gnome 2 was.

- the search funktionality (of course basicly the biggest change, again with better keyboard support)

- better app finder menu, no searching through menus, just type in a few letters of what you want, or dynamicly make a menu, but of course there is still a menu if you in rare cases would need it anyway (never happend to me)

- looks better

- better backend

-cloud integration, email integration...

but of course its not perfect ^^ while some is just a problem with the hardware, on slower hardware it can eat some bigger cpu time, in comparsion to something like fluxbox or awesome, and even awesome is even more keyboard focused ^^ even works great without mouse when you use several monitors.
                Some progs have to be rewritten, like the mediaplayer... again gstreamer on slower machines can be a problem... with hd and free drivers without hardware accelleration.

But I dont see any negative points in comparsion to gnome2 I would never go back ^^ I even dont like the gnome-2-ish extentions.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  ah, you mean like the windows desktop which needs third party tweak tool to do basic stuff for theming?

well, what ever you mean by "basic stuff". i bet you find enough people saying desktop XY is flawed, no matter which one substitutes XY.

p.s. how i love thus one sentence killer argument for something being totally broken, so broken that no one can actually use it. typical forum bullshit posts, found thousands and thousands every day...
                  Ohh well how about selecting what indicators are shown in the panel and moving things from the notification tray (which is horrible) to the panel, because it doesn't belong into the notification tray like Dropbox? Oh wait that's totally radical. No one would ever want to do that. To bad the iconmanager extension was broken several times and it seems the developer is feed up fixing it everytime.

Comment

Guys, I'm very happy that you got these features and it's good news, but you can't say that no other DE has this functionality.

All of that has been available in KDE for years. I'm not 100% sure about per-app window switching (never tried), but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Again, it's good for GNOME users that they got these features.

Comment

All linux des are full of useless s***, and no usefull things, and no one of them is good for daily usage, not to mention terrible performance and poor looks, but when you know, what kind of guys made them, then you can see, that all linux des are kind of the same - they all made by some kind of creepy guys, and all des are only good for 1 or 2 tasks, but not for anything else. Plus all linux distributions has terrible package managements, cause if you want to remove something, you must to remove half of your system.
                      Last edited by startzz; 03 March 2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X