X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jayrulez
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Do you base your desktop environment on Samba? Does Samba serve MS or rather Linux?
    First, we would need a clear definition of "anti Linux companies".

Do you base your desktop environment on Samba? Does Samba serve MS or rather Linux?
    Does MONO serve MS or rather Linux?

Do most of the proprietary packages found in your Linux distribution support some anti Linux companies or just help Linux running some devices?
    Using Samba proliferates the use of MS APIs as much as Mono does.

Samba, Firefox, gtk+ don't come from MS or Apple, so I recommend you to stop making yourself a fool. Such strawman examples don't work on me.
    Mono does not come from MS or Apple either.

Your statements are neither consistent nor coherent.

Leave a comment:

• ciplogic
    replied
    And what's your point? Do apple or google get my money when I use cups or webkit that originally comes from KDE? Can they use patents against me? (...).
    In fact they can! Patents are regardless of where the spec comes from! You can take GCC and you can make a GIMPLE (the internal language of GCC) to run on OpenCL, and yes, your implementation can be patent encumbered. A clean room implementation like Mono for example does not have issues with MS patents, but JavaScriptCore or WebKit can use some Apple patents (for example to work with automatic layout based on colons that are closer to the view of the phone). I hope you understand this.

If Apple enforces these patents, you will not have a good browser experience on the future KDE Phone project (if it will ever exist). If you will use Mono, you may use the native browser on the phone and you will not have any issue as the issue does not lie in Mono's implementation.(Linux friendly Google may pay to Apple some money for this layouting in WebKit).
    Last edited by ciplogic; 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ciplogic
    replied
    There's no logic in your comments. Google and facebook are Linux friendly companies while apple and ms are anti Linux ones. I have no reasons to attack Nvidia which supports Linux with their great drivers. It's such simple and I feel depressed when reading such bullshit. Oh, and one more thing: as far as I know neither facebook or nvidia are Linux competitors on desktop market. Apple didn't gave llvm, they found it will be better to them to use some open source license. They try to compete against GCC which comes with far better license, so this example is totally idiotic.
    I think you cut and paste and take any conclusion anyway.

So Apple and MS are bad because they don't support Linux, so you have to embrace Novell and Xamarin as they supported Linux Desktop properly for a long long time (and they still do). Did I miss a meeting when I can see Novell Windows, instead of Novell Suse Linux.

For a refresh: LLVM is mainly an Apple sponsored project. Still LLVM seems a good addition for Linux (and C based languages), and an open spec like C# doesn't seem to be good even is made to work great on Linux (like Mono does).

Did I miss a meeting, do you think that aliens build the pyramids and also that Miguel wanted to make Linux a Microsoft project?

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by directhex View Post
    Does Xamarin get money from you writing a Gtk# app on Linux?
    Just wait, I'll bet his answer will be something along the lines of "DOESN'T MATTER THEY SUPPORT MICROSOFT AND THEY MUST DIE."

Leave a comment:

• directhex
    replied
    And what's your point? Do apple or google get my money when I use cups or webkit that originally comes from KDE?
    Does Xamarin get money from you writing a Gtk# app on Linux?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by directhex View Post
    If you print on Linux you're using CUPS, an Apple project.

Or look at Webkit, whose biggest contributors are Apple and Google. Is that project good or evil? Why? Why not?
    And what's your point? Do apple or google get my money when I use cups or webkit that originally comes from KDE? Can they use patents against me? Furthermore, as far as I remember CUPS wasn't created by crapple, but this doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• directhex
    replied
    There's no logic in your comments. Google and facebook are Linux friendly companies while apple and ms are anti Linux ones. I have no reasons to attack Nvidia which supports Linux with their great drivers. It's such simple and I feel depressed when reading such bullshit. Oh, and one more thing: as far as I know neither facebook or nvidia are Linux competitors on desktop market. Apple didn't gave llvm, they found it will be better to them to use some open source license. They try to compete against GCC which comes with far better license, so this example is totally idiotic.
    If you print on Linux you're using CUPS, an Apple project.

Or look at Webkit, whose biggest contributors are Apple and Google. Is that project good or evil? Why? Why not?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
    Are you disagreeing with Google too? They have a lot of proprietary stuff. Also Facebook, Intel, NVidia and Apple. Imagine that Apple patented just 5 years ago "multi-touch" and they attacked HTC for "gestures" patents.

Or you like that Facebook gave to (some) HipHop, Intel gave good upstream video drivers and Apple gave LLVM. I don't have anything in defense of NVidia, so I can say just: attack NVidia, it is all about proprietary blobs.

What about Xamarin/ex-Novell: they gave tools that some users and developers use. The relation with of Mono with Microsoft as is the relation of C or C++ and At&t. You have to be capable to understand the difference between a specification/language and an implementation.

If you're not capable, this represents your level of logic: f this, f that, but when is about anything constructive... you're nowhere to be found
    Last edited by Pawlerson; 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
    GTK+ supports MS Windows, CUPS, WebKit, Firefox supports Apple's OS X and Windows, do you boycott those also?

What about Samba? It also reimplements MS APIs. How do you treat that?

I'm sure if you go through all software packages on your systems, you will find support for proprietary systems. What will you do then? Strip your system essentially making it unusable?
    Do you base your desktop environment on Samba? Does Samba serve MS or rather Linux? Do most of the proprietary packages found in your Linux distribution support some anti Linux companies or just help Linux running some devices? Samba, Firefox, gtk+ don't come from MS or Apple, so I recommend you to stop making yourself a fool. Such strawman examples don't work on me.
    Last edited by Pawlerson; 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
    don't have anything in defense of NVidia, so I can say just: attack NVidia, it is all about proprietary blobs.
    Only the desktop GPU drivers are blobs. And their blobs are both remarkably stable AND mostly feature (with the exception of Optimus) + performance par with the Windows blobs, so they're off the hook where I'm concerned.

They have also been contributing to the Tegra open drivers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X