Xamarin 2.0, Their New Code IDE Is Not For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I've tried every mono application and all of them were unstable mess. Banshee was simply unusable while tomboy was heavier than Firefox. F-spot was much slower than its Vala equivalent, so I see no point in using this shit. When mono3 goes out it should be completely ignored by Linux community, because it's just m$ crap.

What he' saying is the apps are a mess, and mono itself is well enough a working language.

Comment

Reality:

Comment

Reality:

Comment

Well, I guess I got all worked up over nothing. Even the article said Windows and OSX though and left out Linux, so I almost felt like this wasn't phoronix hate spin for once. It seems disengenuous for them to leave out Linux as the target of their development studio when developers are by far the largest workforce users of GNU oses.

Originally posted by artivision View Post
          What is a "static bytecode language"? The only thing that is static is a compiler. If i write a C++ program i can staticaly compile it for x86 for example, or i can compile it with LLVM if i have a C++ front-end for LLVM and the binary will be equaly fast wile halfe the size.
          Statically typed bytecode targeted language. Like Java, not like Scala. Not static vs dynamic linking.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            It seems disengenuous for them to leave out Linux as the target of their development studio when developers are by far the largest workforce users of GNU oses.
            Xamarin isn't a Linux company. Xamarin Studio doesn't have an official Linux release, as Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS aren't available for Linux.

Xamarin Studio, however, is just a badged version of MonoDevelop 4.0 - like Chrome/Chromium. And MonoDevelop continues to work fine on Linux.

Comment

What the hell this article has to do with Linux???

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                What the hell this article has to do with Linux???
                Booth mono and monodevelop is released for linux. But the article is kinda off.

Comment

Do you know how to use a computer??

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  I've tried every mono application and all of them were unstable mess. Banshee was simply unusable while tomboy was heavier than Firefox. F-spot was much slower than its Vala equivalent, so I see no point in using this shit. When mono3 goes out it should be completely ignored by Linux community, because it's just m$ crap.
                  All of your points are NOT based on factual evidence. When Mono3 comes your ignorance should be ignored...
                  BTW, the Linux community includes me.
                  Last edited by zezba9000; 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
                    All of your points are NOT based on factual evidence. When Mono3 comes your ignorance should be ignored...
                    BTW, the Linux community includes me.
                    Clearly his statements are nonsense.

But whether or not a framework is good is largely unrelated to whether apps written with that framework are good. You can make a heavy C app and a light C# app fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                      Clearly his statements are nonsense.

But whether or not a framework is good is largely unrelated to whether apps written with that framework are good. You can make a heavy C app and a light C# app fairly easily.
                      Yes that is true, but I would argue it is far more productive and generally easier to write large code bases with a language like C# vs C/C++. Depends on the context but I think most applications we use on a daily basis would fall in that category, even games.

Comment

Working...
                      X