Vincent Untz Goes Over The Direction Of GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moilami View Post
    I am very very happy with Gnome 3. It is the best desktop.
    It's definitely the best desktop for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
      Kk and thanks.

I wont then bother to watch a second of that moaning.
      Thanks, me the same.

I am very very happy with Gnome 3. It is the best desktop.

Edit: I just realized after reading second time your post that he was pro Gnome 3 lol.
      It's one of the worst, sadly. I thought Vincent will criticize its stupid direction, but while he's justifying unjustifiable it's just a waste of time. Vincent and gnome fanboys should read about iphone syndrome:

It is no secret that there has been a great deal of hype surrounding the iPhone and it is also no secret that Apple probably has the most loyal and...
      Last edited by Guest; 10 February 2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

What a pity...

I watched the full video, hoping to find some information on what they are planning to improve the way they are working. Just watch the answer to the last question at the end of the video (51:53), it sums up the whole presentation. Basically, he is saying : "Yes we made mistakes, we are bad at communication and we can't analyse feedback in a way that is useful to developpers, but we don't know how to solve these issues so we won't do anything"...

Comparatively, the KDE 4.0 release was a complete disaster. You can critisize the KDE community for a lot of things, but I think they learned a lot from that, and they won't do the same mistakes with the next big release. They are first working on KDE Framework 5, improving things under the hood, and then they will make small gradual changes to the front-end. I think they won't ever again release a major version tagges x.0 targetted to developpers and not to users. They collaborate a lot with other projects. When someone else in the free software community is doing something that meets their goals better than they would do themselves, they use it, no matter what technology is used (I'm thinking about the Maliit virtual keyboard for example). When they develop a project that could be used for more than Plasma Workspaces, they make everything to ease its adoption (i.e. owncloud). I think the Gnome community could learn a lot from their experience, but it looks like they are not heading this way unfortunately...

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          It's the best desktop for you, and for some other people.

But it is not the best desktop for everyone, and THIS is the mistake GNOME is making. When millions of people do not like their decisions, they wage a war on users. That's silly.
          no, that is the mistake YOU are doing. there can't be a best desktop for everyone. and we all know people are taking changes very slow, especially changes that break with so many things.
          against your million users who do not like gnome shell, there are also millions that like it.

it may play out or not and mostly takes a lot of time until we really know if it played out or not.

gnome is the ONLY one trying to change the currently desktop enviroment setup which ALL others DE are using and which actualy SUCKS! if you do not like it go to another DE but let at least one, at least ONE try to do something better. the try may fail. we will see it in time.

i waited for more than 15 years to get rid of the common DE-scheme. gnome shell is the first step into a direction that for me seems to be promising. it's by far neither perfect, nor does it break enough with the common DE-scheme as i would wish. but it is finally a DE trying something new. and there are plantly of alternatives for those who don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            It's one of the worst, sadly. I thought Vincent will criticize its stupid direction, but while he's justifying unjustifiable it's just a waste of time. Vincent and gnome fanboys should read about iphone syndrome:

http://www.strandreports.com/sw4031.asp
            the direction gnome took with gnome shell is the reason that for the first time ever i started to like gnome.

i don't care about the syndroms you have.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              mark45: Thanks for giving us the executive summary. I was slightly interested, but not interested enough to watch a video. (I prefer things in text form where it's easier to skim.)

Okay, let the holy wars commence! I feel we should have some sort of opening ceremony for these GNOME threads..

EDIT: While I was posting, someone snuck in and started the holy war.
              An executive summary should be unbiased and cover the whole topic. Seems you're just searching for comfirmation about your own bias.

Suggest actually watching the video and discuss what is said. At the moment it seems like hating for the sake of hating.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                What is it exactly that gnome 3 improves over gnome 2 productivity-wise? All of you saying that gnome 3 is better should justify it just like the gnome 3 haters should justify their decision.

About the video: Fuck that guy. Who the fuck is he to tell me that I cannot adapt or other subtle insults he throws at the anti gnome 3 people? Hear me Vincent Untz? FUCK YOU! You and other losers are the reason the linux desktop is now fucked. Gnome 2 was good enough. Improve that don't come up with 'revolutionary' shit. How do you think we will attract windows users? By giving them something completely different from windows? FUCK YOU YOU IDIOT!
                Hey dude, I invited you to go to FOSDEM (where this video was taken) loads and loads of times. It seems you're only able to shout on the internet because you never replied.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  Thanks, me the same.

http://www.strandreports.com/sw4031.asp
                  If you don't want to watch the video, best not to tell Vincent what he should've done? you just said you have no idea because you stopped watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                    One thing I hate is how he talk's about working together on topic of GNOME OS and with all topics in common: he says nothing about it.
                    He allways says we, but not how working together on things(with other DE projects), epecially on things that were talked about in the topic GNOME OS : the things below GNOME. I think GNOME shoud try to work more together with KDE and such, a good example is the StatusNotifier stuff.

EDIT: Its a bit OT but his microphone was very silence.
                    Who do you think started freedesktop.org? Who has shared conferences and hackfests with KDE and other distributions?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      But it is not the best desktop for everyone, and THIS is the mistake GNOME is making. When millions of people do not like their decisions, they wage a war on users. That's silly.
                      War on users is total crap. Please reply on specifics instead of making claims without backing them up. Did you actually watch the video? He for instance addressed that various changes have been made and also did a quick poll to see how many people like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X