Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calligra 2.6 Released

Phoronix: Calligra 2.6 Released

Version 2.6 of the KDE-focused Calligra office suite was released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

after some of the other forum members suggested libreoffice was crap and calligra was so superior, I figured I'd give it a shot, especially considering I'm a KDE user so I wouldn't have too many dependencies. All i have to say is for a 20 year old project, I'm not impressed. calligra shines in some aspects that libreoffice doesn't, but calligra is heavily outnumbered by libreoffice's benefits. What I would have to say though is whatever LO doesn't do, calligra might make up for it.

Comment

Krita is a great painting program! Can't wait till Arch gets 2.6 so I can play with all the improvements

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        after some of the other forum members suggested libreoffice was crap and calligra was so superior, I figured I'd give it a shot, especially considering I'm a KDE user so I wouldn't have too many dependencies. All i have to say is for a 20 year old project, I'm not impressed. calligra shines in some aspects that libreoffice doesn't, but calligra is heavily outnumbered by libreoffice's benefits. What I would have to say though is whatever LO doesn't do, calligra might make up for it.
        Well from an architectural and development perspective Calligra is superior, however it is indeed lacking parity in terms of features at this point in time. Over the long term though it'll likely catch up and surpass Libreoffice, unless LibreOffice really takes the time to clean up and restructure their code. I'd even go so far to say that LibreOffice would need to switch over from the document model to a frame based model to really succeed long term over Calligra as that sets up a lot less code maintenance and development over time.
        Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 06 February 2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

two points on my wishlist

There are two things that I feel are needed in order to be able to use Calligra instead of LO:

- ability to save in legacy (.doc, .docx) formats (+ improve LO .odt compatibility, especially presentations can look very different)
          - ability to use a reference manager like Zotero

Otherwise I really like it, but out of laziness I will stay on LO for now and keep Calligra in the background...

Comment

WRONG : .mobi isn't yet supported, that will come with 2.6.1

-improve LO .odt compatibility, especially presentations can look very different
            Wrong wording IMO: under no circumstances should they strive for supporting a specific implementation, if that implementation is broken; LO should be fixed. (I don't know if that's the case).

Comment

I tried to use it several times, when I felt like "give it a chance". Words for writing a simple text document. It just crashed - when writing simple plain unformatted text (as you do with text editors).
              The other time I used sheets. Filling in some cells + sum up values. I don't know what I did wrong, but from a certain point the document took about 1 minute to load or to save. Loading this document once in libreoffice took the same time, but after that it was fixed even in calligra (instant loading/saving).
              There are some really bad crashers/bugs when addind a spreadsheet shape (all reported, not yet fixed in git master...).

This was with calligra-2.5.2+2.5.3, so no "ancient" versions... (wasn't 2.5 when they claimed calligra - at least some parts - finally was ready for productive use?)

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                WRONG : .mobi isn't yet supported, that will come with 2.6.1

Wrong wording IMO: under no circumstances should they strive for supporting a specific implementation, if that implementation is broken; LO should be fixed. (I don't know if that's the case).
                I think I'm seen some blog when a calligra developer wrote aboute LO don't always follow the specifications. I got the impression he hoped the LO/OO split should enforce this in long term.

Comment

ePub 3.x is the target they should have shot for and not 2.x.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    ePub 3.x is the target they should have shot for and not 2.x.
                    The target was to get started and fully support a version. As eBub 3 seems to introduce quite some complicated stuff they sticked to 2.x FOR THE BEGINNING! As I understood 3.x is definitely planned for the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X