Microsoft Looking At Office For Linux In 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brosis View Post
    People run from Microsoft. Microsoft old strategy - lock up everything and shit on every other platform. That failed. Microsoft new strategy - pursue the people to their new platforms.

I am more than sure that new "solutions" will be feature reduced on non-microsoft systems, will work with non-microsoft documents very badly and will do everything to advertize microsoft platform.

I am not expecting wonders from the shit company of this scale.
    This.

Besides, Microsoft has numerous documented incompatibilities between Office files saved in the 32 and 64 bit versions, is it any wonder that other people can't properly support Microsoft's formats when Microsoft can't even support their own with the source code right in front of them? I'd have low expectations for the Linux port based on this.

Microsoft and Intel were partners in crime in upholding each others monopoly and shutting out any competition. I guarantee you that Microsoft gimped Windows 8 on ARM solely because Intel made them do it. Wintel is being relegated to the rubbish bin of history, I imagine their leaders are losing a lot of sleep over this (but probably Microsoft more than Intel).

Wall Street is mostly to blame, when you start a business and make $10 billion in a single quarter, Wall Street expects it of you always. You can't tell those greedy bastards that "Well, making $10 billion that quarter was fluke, the market conditions were perfect, and there was little competition. Realistically, we can only sustainably bring in $2 billion a quarter". Nope, Wall Street expects you to find new and shadier ways to continue bringing in even more money, which usually involves screwing your customers for as much as you can take them for.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      It would be a fabulous move from Microsoft that would help both them and linux to gain even more market share. And no it won't be open sourced but only zealots care about that. The rest want to use office and would gladly to that on linux if it were available.
      Exactly. I'd welcome a Linux port of MS Office. If it sucks, hey I still have LibreOffice. I love having CHOICE to use whatever fits my needs, not what someone else thinks I should use.

Comment

What's next, Internet Explorer for Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
          What's next, Internet Explorer for Linux?
          Actually that have been done before in the past, there was a IE 4 Linux version 1.0 or something, but as quickly as it appeared, it disappeared again. Sadly I can't find a link now but it was there a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by porkbutt View Post
            Besides, Microsoft has numerous documented incompatibilities between Office files saved in the 32 and 64 bit versions, is it any wonder that other people can't properly support Microsoft's formats when Microsoft can't even support their own with the source code right in front of them? I'd have low expectations for the Linux port based on this.
            I might agree with you IF they hadn't decided to switch over to the strict version of OOXML with Office 2013. You know the one that's actually their ISO standard rather than their lolStandardsWereGoingToUseExtensions one. That said I do expect to see a level of feature disparity where features are coming to Windows first.
            Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 06 February 2013, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
              Why is it needed to write it from scratch? Did they do that for OSX?
              Yes, they did. The OS X office is a completely different codebase from Windows Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                Generalizations, is rarely a good thing.
                Comments made by BO$$ are rarely a good thing.

Comment

This'll be great if it was true.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Yes, they did. The OS X office is a completely different codebase from Windows Office.
                    Rubbish. The core code would have been reused and only the GUI would have been written from scratch.

If your going to make such clearly wild claims please at least attempt to provide some evidence.
                    Last edited by timothyja; 06 February 2013, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                      Rubbish. The core code would have been reused and only the GUI would have been written from scratch.
                      Who knows, maybe they're going for WINELIB.

Comment

Working...
                      X