Microsoft Looking At Office For Linux In 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    "When Microsoft writes an application for Linux, I've Won." - Linus Torvalds
    So he won already, because there is Skype.

Comment

Photoshop when?

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        And no it won't be open sourced but only zealots care about that.
        Generalizations, is rarely a good thing.

Comment

How reliable can this rumor be ? There were no developper from Microsoft at Fosdem as far as I know. At best, if it is true, someone heard it from a friend working at Microsoft. More likely, someone working at Microsoft (but not in the MS Office team) said to a friend that with Valve pushing Linux, they might consider porting MS Office to it if it is a success. And by the time the rumor reached Michael's hears, they had a native port on the way... I don't trust that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AGui View Post
            How reliable can this rumor be ?
            Office for Android? Sure, why not?

Comment

Unless they are writing it from scratch with a whole new team... No. Ain't happening.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                Unless they are writing it from scratch with a whole new team... No. Ain't happening.
                Why is it needed to write it from scratch? Did they do that for OSX?

Comment

Almost -

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  So he won already, because there is Skype.
                  I wouldn't count skype as it already existed for linux, and since microsoft bought skype they appear to have merely tolerated the existence the linux port, and have done nothing of interest with it. Google hangouts offer greater functionality than skype. Now, if ms were to offer a linux version of office, that would be a whole new level of support.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
                    We have a number of people, myself included, who run Linux on their desktops (although not officially sanctioned by IT) since we develop for Linux. So we generally have to run a VM with Windows for Office, especially Outlook. That's a hassle I could live without.
                    Same here. crossover office works OK, but it would be better to have native support.

Comment

did hell freeze over?

Comment

Working...
                      X