X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jalyst
    replied
    Originally posted by cardboard View Post
    KDE is heading in this direction too. How does it compare with QML?
    Eh? No they're not, they're very much in the Qt/QML camp, have been for ages. Personally think it's unfortunate that GNOME decided to go this way just because of past (ideological) differences.
    They Would've been a great new member to the Qt/QML biosphere/code-base, one that would've become a highly respect contributor, & helped to propel the Qt platform faster & more forcefully.

Leave a comment:

• Tiger_Coder
    replied
    Personally I hate Javascript. But now a days many new programmers are coming from web programming. Even in my country which is a 3rd world country, no of school students know web programming is increasing a lot. I know some people who only learns PHP + HTML + JS + CSS ,without any formal Computer Science/Engineering courses and now earning more then undergraduate engineers. JS(Olso QT's QML) will attract them to target desktop apps.

Leave a comment:

• a user
    replied
    Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    In this case I think the speedup gained from writing everything in C++ (or C, which is more common with GNOME) is more or less negligible.
    i don't think so. we are not talking of extensions but of full featured standalone programs.

Leave a comment:

• kigurai
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    I want nothing to do with Javascript. Why not just use Qt?
    Trolling much?

After all, actual C++ code is more efficient than any scripting code.
    In this case I think the speedup gained from writing everything in C++ (or C, which is more common with GNOME) is more or less negligible.

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    I want nothing to do with Javascript. Why not just use Qt? That's my favourite GUI framework; the most fully featured; cross-compile compatible; easy to learn and program; looks perfect in any desktop environment. After all, actual C++ code is more efficient than any scripting code.

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    Originally posted by j2723 View Post
    Javascript? Why exactly Javascript?
    In my opinion it's a horrid language...

Why not Python instead ?

By chance, do they mean HTML+Javascript with "GNOME appliations", or actually Javascript as a stand-alone "program"?

Related:
    wat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEgk1Hdze0
    this is one gnome dev's take on "why not python"

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by j2723 View Post
    By chance, do they mean HTML+Javascript with "GNOME appliations", or actually Javascript as a stand-alone "program"?
    The latter. Remember, this isn't anything new, this just represents a decision to promote it as the language of choice for people wanting to code stuff on Gnome and who don't want to use C. The actual platform has been there for quite a few years - there were JS-based games in the later releases of the Gnome 2 series...

Leave a comment:

• cardboard
    replied
    KDE is heading in this direction too. How does it compare with QML?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Javascript has it's uses

It's good for a scripting language that you can code a UI with.

I hope GNOME isn't recommending it's use for full scale apps, though, because javascript does not scale very well. It's going to be a nightmare if you start creating large codebases with it.

Leave a comment:

• j2723
    replied
    Javascript? Why exactly Javascript?
    In my opinion it's a horrid language...

Why not Python instead ?

Related:
    wat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEgk1Hdze0
    Last edited by j2723; 04 February 2013, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X