Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME To Use JavaScript For New User Programs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Craziness if you ask me. It isn't that developers don't need a good scripting type language, just that JavaScript is far from ideal. Personally Python would be a good solution for app development.

    In any event this thread highlights a big issue with Linux, both KDE and Gnome are terrible development environments. People are starting to realize this and maybe that is why JavaScript is being promoted. However this more or less implies that Gnome needs to be rethought.

    Comment


    • #32
      I really don't see a big difference from KDE. I get the impression kde propagate for java script/QML int the gui more and more and javascript or c++ in the other layer. To me it's look like the full c++ apps is destined to disappear also on kde. Plasma2 is supposed to be mostly in qml and javascript and also kwin use qml or javascript for animation and behavioral scripting.
      The underlying code in the libs is c++ just as its c on gnome.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        In any event this thread highlights a big issue with Linux, both KDE and Gnome are terrible development environments.
        Maybe on the desktop, but in mobile/embedded at least Qt/QML etc. is doing quite well, looks like GNOME is finally getting on that train too* with JS, alongside FFOS & others.
        Considering bindings do exist & are fairly well maintained, I would've preferred to have seen them come on-board w/Qt/QML, BUT given political clashes in the past I half-expected that to not happen, sadly.
        That of course is only part of the equation, they are way more entrenched in the js side of things, so the upheaval isn't exactly easy...

        *in a more coordinated/consolidated way then ever before
        Last edited by jalyst; 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Craziness if you ask me. It isn't that developers don't need a good scripting type language, just that JavaScript is far from ideal. Personally Python would be a good solution for app development.
          While I too prefer Python over JS (though I have honestly not used the latter for desktop applications) I see why they chose it. Gnome-Shell already allows (requires?) extensions to be written in javascript, so extending this to be the preferred language for other applications seems logical.

          Comment


          • #35
            JavaScript is unsuitable for non-trivial applications because of
            1. dynamic typing - performance will be (much) worse than with static typing in most cases
            2. runtime compilation - compiler increases memory usage and slows down application especially start-up - code compiled during runtime can't be shared between processes/applications
            Last edited by JS987; 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              JavaScript is unsuitable for non-trivial applications because of
              1. dynamic typing - performance will be (much) worse than with static typing in most cases
              2. runtime compilation - compiler increases memory usage and slows down application especially start-up - code compiled during runtime can't be shared between applications
              Considering the huge number of non-trivial applications that are running on languages that have the properties you define, I'd say it is definitely suitable.

              Case in point: Youtube runs on Python.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                Considering the huge number of non-trivial applications that are running on languages that have the properties you define, I'd say it is definitely suitable.

                Case in point: Youtube runs on Python.
                http://highscalability.com/youtube-architecture
                Youtube is also using Apache written in C and MySQL written in C/C++.
                Youtube can add more servers if performance isn't sufficient.
                Youtube web application is trivial compared to MySQL.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                  http://highscalability.com/youtube-architecture
                  Youtube is also using Apache written in C and MySQL written in C/C++.
                  Youtube can add more servers if performance isn't sufficient.
                  Youtube web application is trivial compared to MySQL.
                  ......and?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    http://highscalability.com/youtube-architecture
                    Youtube is also using Apache written in C and MySQL written in C/C++.
                    Youtube can add more servers if performance isn't sufficient.
                    Youtube web application is trivial compared to MySQL.
                    This does however not change the fact that Youtube use Python, which is a language with dynamic typing.
                    I am not going to argue whether a web application is more or less trivial than MySQL.
                    I just think we can all agree that Youtube does not really count as a "trivial" application.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                      I just think we can all agree that Youtube does not really count as a "trivial" application.
                      Python web applications don't include a lot of Python code as majority of code is client side (HTML, Javascript) and SQL commands.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X