X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adarion
    replied
    Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    KDE 4.10 will be a very nice release, the only thing I'm still missing is a good RAW editor....
    RAW? What about Darktable for example? There are quite a lot around of them, recently the German pro-linux had an article about them with a comparison.

All that semantic-desktop stuff... I don't use it, I don't like it. Also file indexing in the past was buggy and slow and ate way too many resources. Improvements are welcome but I still hate these binaries on my disk. And it's hard to build KDE with USE="-semantic-desktop". Something will normally always complain.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
    But at least the KDE devs bother to improve things (plasma-desktop, dolphin, rekonq, akonadi) until they work, rather than giving up on them instantly or leaving them broken forever...
    I disagree... that's exactly what they do, and not only for nepomuk : kde 4 has been broken since the beginning and they leave it broken :-(

Leave a comment:

• FLHerne
    replied
    I think Nepomuk is an awesome concept, and now it's finally getting fast/stable enough to be of practical use . In 4.9 I finally have it turned on with little noticeable impact on my system (~7yr old Pentium D), perhaps in 4.10 I'll be able to update that 'little' to 'no' .

Akonadi was the same a year or two ago, I steered well clear of it in versions < 4.8, but with 4.8 and 4.9 I haven't yet had Kontact crash on me.

@all the haters: Yes, new features are often a bit unstable. Yes, KDE seem to make things 'default' before they're ready (but at least let you turn it off). But at least the KDE devs bother to improve things (plasma-desktop, dolphin, rekonq, akonadi) until they work, rather than giving up on them instantly or leaving them broken forever...

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Looks like I'm in the minority since I find nepomuk super useful. I often search contents of files like pdfs. And the new nepomuk plugin for Amarok is awesome. Who doesn't want the ability to move files around on your computer without breaking your music database? And how about real-time updating of metadata like ratings from various places (like Dolphin and Amarok)?

I'm glad they're trying to work out all the kinks.

Leave a comment:

• molecule-eye
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Nepomuk is a pig. It's a research project that isn't ready for field trials. Fork the tree from it and work in parallel until it is fully core aware with OpenCL on both the CPU and GPGPU, then put it back in, but keep it optional for folks on older systems and weak GPGPUs.

It never should have been turned on by default.
    Sounds like you haven't used in any recent version of KDE. It's not even a pig on my Core Solo ULV from 6 years ago. In any case, they make it super easy to pause indexing, so you can just enable it while you're not doing anything intensive, like when you're off to the kitchen for a cup of joe.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    So for those of you who have had problems and don't have anymore. Maybe it is not the KDE version but the kernel version?
    Nope I disagree. It is not kernel fault, it's KDE stuff. They keep on merging whatever crap is being written without ANY QA, even basic. I guess the excuse is "we dont have enough manpower". Nepomuk is just the top of the iceberg of some ugly QA (lack of, actually) and design decisions in KDE.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    so well on initial release, but has been fixed long since, and people just don't want to try it out again for no good reason.
    This is the favorite answer from some kde dev : "we once had some minor problems now fixed". But I disagree with you : at each linux installation (lot of different distros), users come back to me with the same pb ('computer freezes or almost freezes'). Killing nepomuk is always the solution. Even recently. Even VERY recently. That's soooo constant with time.

Leave a comment:

• nirvanix
    replied
    Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    ~10.5% off topic.

I tested Amarok 2.7 with the Nepomuk Collection plugin, under KDE 4.10 rc3. The memory usage PLUMMETTED. It went from ~460MB to ~120MB RAM, on a x64 system. What KDE should do is to enforce every app that uses some sort of database (Amarok, Digikam, and even in a later phase Akonadi itself) to use Nepomuk. The memory usage would go way down.
    So you would fix one buggy app (Amarok) by forcing it to use another buggy app? Enforce? I think you should be on Windows - that's for people that want enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• Alejandro Nova
    replied
    ~10.5% off topic.

I tested Amarok 2.7 with the Nepomuk Collection plugin, under KDE 4.10 rc3. The memory usage PLUMMETTED. It went from ~460MB to ~120MB RAM, on a x64 system. What KDE should do is to enforce every app that uses some sort of database (Amarok, Digikam, and even in a later phase Akonadi itself) to use Nepomuk. The memory usage would go way down.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    The new Nepomuk works mostly fine here in 4.10rc3. The only issue here is the e-mail indexing plugin which I handpicked to disable. I'll try it again with the final 4.10 release.
    Other than that I have zero problems. I ran Nepomuk Cleaner anyway.

Everybody bitching about Nepomuk should just disable it and STFU.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X