X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by orzel View Post
    I didn't mention konsole in the great applications, even though i use it daily. It is (imho) a very good application, just borked by the great idea to put all konsole shells in only task, so that any problem with one konsole tab will kill all your tabs. Yes, this is still valid, check current konsole code. More or less the same way they do with plasma so that any badly written plasmoid will kill your whole plasma (that is, if plasma doesn't kill itself before). And believe me, there are some very badly written plasmoid.
    My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    I don't understand why there is so much bitching about a stupid task bar. Just use another one. The KDE project alone provides at least two (Icon Tasks being the other one). I use Smooth Tasks 2 which is absolutely awesome.
    Because the task bar has 1 major, really annoying bug thats been known for years and never fixed. For awhile it was being looked into to be fixed but once the KDE devs decided to move everything to QML the bug got stalled.

Thanks for the shoutout to Smooth Tasks2, installing it now to test it out. Looks interesting.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    I don't understand why there is so much bitching about a stupid task bar. Just use another one. The KDE project alone provides at least two (Icon Tasks being the other one). I use Smooth Tasks 2 which is absolutely awesome.
    I guess the point is that this is the *default* task bar ? Or is it not ? I'm not aware of this problem.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Last time i checked it was not so easy to get rid of akonadi. But granted, it was some times ago.
    It's very easy. Only thing you need to do is not to start any applications that use Akonadi (KDE PIM suite), the default calendar can display Akonadi events you might need to disable that feature (it's a single option in the plasmoid's settings).

Will it ? They've said so for the last.. 5 "major" releases i guess.. ? more maybe ?
    It was only recently someone actually picked up the work.

And anyway, this is not the solution as akregator code is really ugly. I doubt that it is worth to port it to <whatever>. Better rewrite it, this would be a lot more efficient. And this time, prevent teenage monkeys to access the code for it.
    That just might happen and it will be a lot easier now that Akonadi supports RSS related stuff. There's a guy doing some work on new Akonadi based QML PIM applications.

Will it ? I'll wait to check this as I've seen such kind of promesses for too long.
    So have I understood. The QML stuff is relatively new and will be finished in Plasma 2 that is still quite far away; it supports only QML plasmoids. Also some data engines will be run in separate processes IIRC.

Sure? I've read that Martin himself is not interested in maintaining the BSD support in KWin but that does not mean that others don't do it.
    To my understanding he doesn't accept portability patches (of course someone could create some FreeBSD and work on it for example) and just recently he pointed out the benefits of that decission in his blog (which is down right now so I can't quote).

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Rewritten taskbar was SUPPOSED to hit 4.10 but the developer didnt finish it so its been pushed back to 4.11...unfortuntately.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    KWin already did.
    Sure? I've read that Martin himself is not interested in maintaining the BSD support in KWin but that does not mean that others don't do it.
    He changed his plans several times already (eg. killing scripting was once on his agenda before he realized that reworking scripting results in easier to maintain effects).

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    I remember that on some eeepc, it was not even possible to start, so I had to ssh to the computer without the user trying to log in and disable nepomuk.
    Lie.

Last time i checked it was not so easy to get rid of akonadi. But granted, it was some times ago.
    And again a lie. Akonadi was never ever mandatory for the desktop itself. Individual apps may rely on it but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    You remove every plasmoid your distro has installed by default, and you dont install any new.
    This line alone proves that you are lying. A KDE desktop without any Plasma applets is 100% empty and then there is still the Plasma-based containment rendering the wallpaper.

Again: Piss off to some Xfce or so forum. People may believe you there.

This boost your average time between crashes and prevent memory use to explode.
    Plasma neither crashes these days not does it eat up large amount of memory.

And of course, you kill Amarok, but plasma is not the only reason why.
    Amarok is not even the default KDE music player.

Leave a comment:

• orzel
    replied
    Akonadi is only started on demand (I for one don't use it at all currently) and Nepomuk can be disabled from system settings. Nepomuk hasn't used Java since forever.
    I remember that on some eeepc, it was not even possible to start, so I had to ssh to the computer without the user trying to log in and disable nepomuk. Settings aren't everything, sane defaults are great too. But this is minor, i agree.

It was quite a dead project for a long time. Akregator 2 will be available in KDE SC 4.11, it has been ported to Akonadi among other things.
    Will it ? They've said so for the last.. 5 "major" releases i guess.. ? more maybe ?
    And.. how to say it. "porting to akonadi" sounds to me like "adding even more mess".
    And anyway, this is not the solution as akregator code is really ugly. I doubt that it is worth to port it to <whatever>. Better rewrite it, this would be a lot more efficient. And this time, prevent teenage monkeys to access the code for it.

This will fortunately be fixed in Plasma 2 with the complete port to QML. Many core plasmoids have already been ported to QML and I if I'm not mistaken they can't bring down Plasma anymore.
    Will it ? I'll wait to check this as I've seen such kind of promesses for too long. They are good as writing todo list (which is ok, techbase is really great), but they are less than good at keeping the lists updated, and bad at actually doing those. This issue is huge and has been known forever.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by boast View Post
    whaattt?!?!
    Yeah sorry Boast. (Hopefully) Up-To-Date listing of all QML porting: http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLPorting

The applet in question is "Task Manager" which is assigned to " <[email protected]> " unfortunately there's no "Location" filled in for a git url so if you want you could email him and ask him what the progress on it is and what the git url is.

If you do, be sure to post it here in the forums so we all know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X