Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    kwin should not be affected, as startkde actually works
    You can even use KWin as a standalone window manager (run kwin --replace on some XFCE environment for example) so it's not in anyway dependent of startkde script or systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.
      This. And please, PLEASE, make them run in different processes -- the diagnosing of such problems (and memory leaks) will be instantaneous and not requiring even developer tools.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        My favourite example: Add the qalculate plasmoid, type in 2^10000000 and press enter. The complete desktop hangs. And when it is done with calculating, click on it: 100% cpu usage from kdeinit4 for several seconds. Just run plasmoids in their own threads or even processes already.
        This should already be fixed in Plasma2. IIRC lower-end changes in Qt were required first and Qt5 offers those.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
          This. And please, PLEASE, make them run in different processes -- the diagnosing of such problems (and memory leaks) will be instantaneous and not requiring even developer tools.
          I don't think that is feasible. Plasmoids is not some additional widgets. They are the core desktop. as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            I don't think that is feasible. Plasmoids is not some additional widgets. They are the core desktop. as I understand it.
            It was done in plasma2, which will be in KDE5.0 whenever that comes out.

I don't think the devs considered porting that work back to KDE4 because it's going to cause a pretty massive API change, breaking widgets that rely on being in the same process as the desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X