Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With E17 Out, Enlightenment E18 Is In Development

Phoronix: With E17 Out, Enlightenment E18 Is In Development

The first point release of the Enlightenment E17 desktop was released today. In addition, an early development snapshot of E18 was released too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay. Only 10 more years for the beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      Yay. Only 10 more years for the beta.
      The SVN version from E17 I checked out 1,5 years ago works without many problems. Consider it beta after 5 years :P .

Comment

"Working" and "released" are different. I am pretty sure the current E18 state is working too.

Comment

Port it to Wayland

They should port it to Wayland.

The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) is ported to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            They should port it to Wayland.

The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) is ported to Wayland.

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/efl.html
            Once the desktop bits are ready in wayland i believe it will be one of the first DEs that will run on it.

On topic i don't think -or rather hope- e18 will take as much as e17. It will more likely be e17 with some features added. There are quite some stuff missing and there are annoying bugs. But those will more likely be addressed on the next bug release.

Hopefully they will also put some time in entrance since its something thats missing. Starting it with another DM feels inconsistent.

Comment

Nice to be reminded that this still exists. I tried E17 several years ago and it was very nice looking, but it wasn't quite usable yet. It lacked configuration utilities (and had binary configuration files!) and there were a lot of window positioning annoyances etc.

I just downloaded E17 and I'm going to see about building it.

I remember back around 1999/2000 Enlightenment was often used as the window manager for Gnome. That was pretty slick back then... I used that in Mandrake 7. I think Enlightenment was one of the first window managers to have shaped window decorations. Another thing I liked about Gnome/Enlightenment was how the virtual desktops were connected... you could slide around with your mouse.

I later used AfterStep for that reason... I had my workspaces configured in a 4x4 square, which gave me 16 interconnected desktops. But then they completely ruined AfterStep with version 2.

Comment

E17 has great technical foundations, but the polish and look of the DE part is just... horrible. It is an inconsistent mess, in both look and usability.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  E17 has great technical foundations, but the polish and look of the DE part is just... horrible. It is an inconsistent mess, in both look and usability.
                  There are annoyances and missing features but its far more usable that Gnome 3.x

Also:
                  http://e18releasemanager.wordpress.com/

Lets hope it will be incremental to e17 and not take another decade.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Once the desktop bits are ready in wayland i believe it will be one of the first DEs that will run on it.

On topic i don't think -or rather hope- e18 will take as much as e17. It will more likely be e17 with some features added. There are quite some stuff missing and there are annoying bugs. But those will more likely be addressed on the next bug release.

Hopefully they will also put some time in entrance since its something thats missing. Starting it with another DM feels inconsistent.
                    I just hope they consider making another front-end to lightdm. Saves them some work implementing boring things nobody really cares about and makes them focus on stuff they do really good IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                    X